The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
FlaDave
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Advice Needed on New Smoker

Hi - I am new to this forum and have been smoking low and slow for 20+ years on my large BGE and previously a bullet smoker. I smoke 2X a month year-round. I usually use lump charcoal with wood chunks. My favorite Q is Carolina style pulled pork. Usually, I light the smoker at night and let it go until morning. I have good luck with this method and my logging thermometer says the temp stays relatively steady. Best, I have Q for breakfast. I do not do competitions but, everyone likes my Q.

Recently my neighbor threw out a inexpensive offset smoker and I had to grab it and at least save it from a metal scrapper. In 5 years, I never saw it used. It just sat in beside the house. It is a Char Griller Smoker Pro

I have been reading that these are often terrible smokers but can be modified to be OK smokers.

Is there any reason I should modify this smoker and use it vs my BGE or should I just put it on Craigs list and make my neighbor some baby backs?

Thanks in advance.
FlaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

You posted this question a few days ago.

Take a look at the feedback from that thread and see if it helps ya.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146697

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

I have two cheap offsets that I have modified into reverse flow. I use the minion method with the firebox. It will take while to learn to cook on it, but I live my offsets.

Unread 10-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can get accesories for your Egg that will greatly expand your cooking area. That does an awesome job
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
FlaDave
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Ooops

So strange, a couple of days ago I posted (or thought I posted) and periodically refreshed the page and did not see my post. I thought perhaps the URLs I put in the post got flagged as selling stuff. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am using Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript.
FlaDave is offline   Reply With Quote