MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
BBQBeaver
On the road to being a farker

Default Enclosed Trailer layouts??

I am thinking of switching to an enclosed trailer for competitions next year, with a side man door and rear ramp door. Was thinking of lowering and leveling the rear ramp door with jacks and just leaving the cooker(s) parked on the ramp. If possible, could you guys who have these trailers post some interior picks of your layouts? Mine will be an empty canvas to start but would like to see how everyone else has laid theirs out for efficiency.

Also, anyone run RV batteries and an inverter for power?

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'm watching this thread with anticipation.

Edit: It would also be great to know what size trailers people are using.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]

Last edited by cpw; 10-23-2012 at 01:16 PM..
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use to cook out of a 6x10. It was just tall enough inside. If I did it again, I would go with a 7x14 tandem axle. Might go for a V nose, but not sure if it is easier to pull or not. Only build out i did was a build out in the front. A workbench with underneath storage and an overhead shelf. The workbench was plywood cut to fit and I covered it with formica. ANd in Texas, the rooftop ac was a must.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a picture of my 6 X12 vnose area. It is fully insulated with FRP walls and ceiling and garage floor tiles. Inline propane hot water, xantrax inverter 22 gal fresh water, shur pump & accumulator. Baskets are from IKEA. TV is on a swing arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 073.jpg (56.0 KB, 1438 views)
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Is there any carbon-monoxide concern from having your water heater inside the trailer?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Is there any carbon-monoxide concern from having your water heater inside the trailer?

dmp
Not to mention the heat? If that propane heater is anything like the one I have, it puts off a ton of heat + exhaust from the top.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post

dmp
Hence the co detector as seen in the left of the picture.

Have not had an issue with the heat as the use of hot water is intermittent and the AC keeps up. Long runs on the hot water do cause some odor but that is a seldom occurance. The water heater is a ventless one and the door and ramp openings are covered with freezer curtains.

The inverter is a 2500 watt unit and can carry the trailer and FEC100 for about 12 hours off a pair of deep cycle marine/rv batteries, just can't run the AC for more than 15 minutes and then the batteries die. Alas, no ac when on the inverter but can watch tv and charge my phone

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I'm watching this thread with anticipation.

Edit: It would also be great to know what size trailers people are using.
Me too!
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQBeaver View Post
Was thinking of lowering and leveling the rear ramp door with jacks and just leaving the cooker(s) parked on the ramp.
Thanks.
Been thinking about that one myself for some time. Already have a 16' utility trailer and a 5 x 10 enclosed so was thinking about doing that to the enclosed but it would still be small yet light to tow for longer hauls. Putting a roof on the 16 would just give so much more room. Just a lot more work too.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Heres our 7X14 .She is still a work in progress. Its a barn door type with an aluminum platform I made to fold down. When time permits I will have a slide out roof for the platform .For now its a bunch of conduit and tarps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ 2012 047 (Small).jpg (43.5 KB, 1358 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ 2012 051 (Small).jpg (34.9 KB, 1340 views)
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Exe-que-tioner

Here is what I did when I first started, have done much more since. Have more pics somewhere if I can find them. Have since added a stainless steel prep table next to the fridge and we also have the battery/charger/inverter set-up that works very well. Not as fancy as a lot of trailers out there, but it works. If you have buddies with some trade skills you can accomplish almost anything
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (57.1 KB, 1354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1321.jpg (60.1 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1328.jpg (49.0 KB, 1346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1349.jpg (58.3 KB, 1338 views)
[I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkred][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][COLOR=darkred][COLOR=darkgreen][COLOR=darkslateblue][COLOR=black][B][COLOR=sienna]*[I]"STOKER" POWERED BACKWOODS CLONE*[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Exe-que-tioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I am loving this thread! Been thinking of gong the trailer route ever since last weekend when I was able to get a sneak peek at the folks trailers a the Woodstock, VA comp.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
danmaley
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I too am looking at purchasing a trailer and building it out myself. I thought that I might build it out as a modular design were the tables, sink and fridge might be removable in attempt to make it usable for other trailering use.

For folks that installed sinks, did you need to install a grey water tank as well as a freshwater tank or does it drain outside of the trailer? I would assume many contest locations have restrictions on draining it to the ground outside the trailer, but I have no experience with that.

Dan
danmaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Get a wheeled rv water tote and position it under the drain hose outside. They usually hold 20 to 30 gallons and some have a handle for attaching to a tow ball for moving to a dump area though I did not find this necessary.

Everything, with the exception of what you see in the front was on wheeled metro shelves cut down to work height and wooden counter tops from ikea cut to size and held on with L straps. Held to the wall for travel with straps.

Also modified a Sam's bin shelf system as a rolling item and used folding work tables. Made multiple configurations possible and also allowed for folding cots at night.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
TRS

Here are a few pics of ours. It too is a work in progress. Its a 8.5x20'. Has 2 side windows and an rv door w/screen. I ordered it with AC, 30amp box, insulated ceiling, heavy duty ramp, awning etc. I am finishing the rest off myself. I installed the rubber diamond plate floor ( I did get the bubbles out!), 6 tie downs, insulated the walls, hung paneling, porti potty, adding cabinets and sinks this winter. We also go camping in this trailer thus the paneling!
We roll the smokers out and use a queen size blow up aero bed to sleep on. Works great so far. We are also looking at just cooking on the smokers on the ramp so I am looking at building a wall/divider just inside the ramp door as to keep the cold/heat in, bugs out and privacy for the wife. Some teams just hang the plastic cold flaps for their divider between the cookers and the inside of the trailer. The wife wants something a bit more private/secure.
I will say that trailers fill up and get crowed fast so get one bigger right from the start and "grow" into it. You will be happy you did!

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a trailer w smokers loaded.jpg (65.1 KB, 1316 views)
File Type: jpg P1030224.jpg (68.6 KB, 1306 views)
File Type: jpg P1030209.jpg (56.4 KB, 1298 views)
File Type: jpg a picture of logo.jpg (99.8 KB, 1304 views)