The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 10-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

No, I was referring to the "Golden-Dog."
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
No, I was referring to the "Golden-Dog."
My mistake, yes that is his new model, I believe he still has 1 unit available for $58USD(promo price) but you are expected to write a review.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
My mistake, yes that is his new model, I believe he still has 1 unit available for $58USD(promo price) but you are expected to write a review.
Do I understand correctly that the fan speed is variable up to 50 cfm?
What type smoker will this fit without too much trouble or, more specifically, a WSM and/or a Backwoods Competitor? Thanks!
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

No manual? The controls (As well as device specific terminology), as shown in above comments, are hardly intuitive. Seems odd that a user guide would not be included.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Do I understand correctly that the fan speed is variable up to 50 cfm? What type smoker will this fit without too much trouble or, more specifically, a WSM and/or a Backwoods Competitor? Thanks!
Yes but you would need to purchase the 50CFM package, the one pictured in my original post is the 10CFM package and below is the 50CFM model:

The upgrade I believe is +10USD. Wang can also make custom adapters to your liking if you message him the details, I believe he has done so already for others on the board. If you follow this link you will see the standard adapters that he carries: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143570
Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
No manual? The controls (As well as device specific terminology), as shown in above comments, are hardly intuitive. Seems odd that a user guide would not be included.
I thought so as well initially but later learned that Wang actually makes all of this stuff himself. To put it in another light, we are talking directly with the manufacturer. I am not certain if he has instructions in Chinese but as you can see in his replies English is not his first language and writing a manual himself would probably be counter productive.
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
deguerre

Quote:
I thought so as well initially but later learned that Wang actually makes all of this stuff himself. To put it in another light, we are talking directly with the manufacturer. I am not certain if he has instructions in Chinese but as you can see in his replies English is not his first language and writing a manual himself would probably be counter productive.
Which tells me the consumer is helplessly lost without direct contact with the maker. He could easily make one translation (Even an imperfect one) and simply xerox it for each unit built. Heck. He could provide a PDF link on the interwebs.
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Which tells me the consumer is helplessly lost without direct contact with the maker. He could easily make one translation (Even an imperfect one) and simply xerox it for each unit built. Heck. He could provide a PDF link on the interwebs.
If you want retail packaging and documentation then I would suggest going with the many number of US based companies, the trade off is the higher price tag. I actually paid less for this controller than I did for my Maverick thermometer.

By nature, I like tinkering with things so not having a manual wasnt an issue for me. I read enough in the other threads to know what I was getting into before I dove in.

I understand that Wang doesnt have a marketing department or a sales staff or anything of the likes so expecting North American style customer service or anything close it is probably not going to happen.

The intention of my thread to be as neutral as possible and provide useful information for those who were interested, nothing more nothing less.
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
deguerre

Quote:
The intention of my thread to be as neutral as possible and provide useful information for those who were interested, nothing more nothing less.
Yep, understood. And I am interested, or more intrigued actually, in his several products so far. They have a certain raw beauty to them and seem to work well from accounts I've read too. Still though, for those who don't like to tinker, it could be an issue and as such, I thought it merited a mention.
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Mapleleaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am a tinkerer too and I am intrigued by this. The cost to my door of this system (with the promo price) shipped to my door is about a third the cost of the Auber System and at least half that of the IQ.

I'm willing it invest some time into it.

Just have to break out my old calculus book. Just kidding.
Mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

I think the presets that he keeps mentioning in Thegizzard's review would be a good point to start if you dont want to dust off that calc book.

1. P=0030 I=0240 D=0060 (This is what is on the Dog as a default)

2. P=0030 I=0000 D=0000
3. P=0060 I=0000 D=0000
4. P=0010 I=0000 D=0000
5. P=0015 I=0000 D=0000
6. P=0007 I=0000 D=0000

*The larger the P, the SLOWER the temperature will rise, when I & D are 0000.
*The smaller the P, the FASTER the temperature will rise, when I & D are 0000.

Setting I & D to 0000 while playing around with P is all you really need to do to fine tune it if I am understanding him correctly.

For those of you that understand these graphs here you go:

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
deguerre

^^^^^ Excellent.
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry men and women too?
I run one man business. All is done by myself.
I do not have marketing department, or I am doing marketing too.
I will try to translate manual of DOG in one or two days.
As DOG is a degraded( I am suggested not using word of degrade) model of WOLF, indeed you can use manual of WOLF. www.allchinas.com/probe/manual.htm
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #29
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

For your information. DOG has ONE probe
WOLF has TWO probes.One for pit, the other for meat.Highlight is that MEAT probe controls fire also. I am sure that all other competitors use meat probe for MONITORING only, NOT for CONTROLLING
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Well it looks like I will be doing my trial run tomorrow instead of the weekend(its raining). I have a 10lbs butt that I am defrosting now.

- I plan to do it Hot n Fast @ 325F. I will be rubbing(1/3c salt, 1/3c pepper, 1/3c paprika and a few teaspoons of other things)using mustard as my adhesive with no injection (trying to keep it KISS).
- I plan to put it in ‘naked’ until 160F internal temp and then place it in a tray covered in foil until 200F internal temp or until probe tender.
- When it reaches 200F or probe tender I will wrap it in foil then a towel and then let it rest in a cooler for 1 hour.
- After the hour I will return the butt to the tray with the drippings(fat skimmed out) and pull the meat, if timing allows I will throw it back on so the meat can cook in its own juice.

Last edited by Toronto; 10-24-2012 at 11:29 PM..