The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Judge what is presented.....or not

Thought I would share this as I got a comment card today. Got it on my brisket. It was the first time I ever turned in only burnt ends. I had enough to make the box look full and I thought they were great. Since I've heard of teams getting good calls on burnt ends I figured why not give it a try and go a little rogue .

I have heard so many times now during the cook's meeting from KCBS reps that they are working hard on telling the judges to not have pre conceived notions about what may not have made it into the box and "judge what is presented".

Now the brisket score was not great. 20/25 teams. But seems as this judge only knew how to judge tenderness from a "slice". Perhaps it was a new judge since they referred to the burnt ends as a "small cube".

Now at the end of the day it wasn't a big deal. I am the first one to admit brisket is my worst category , though I did think the burnt ends were good. Anyways, here is the card .
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
EMTTLC
Knows what a fatty is.

I had great burnt ends in Cleveland and a not so good flat. I almost turned in 16 burnt ends but was afraid I'd end up with an experience just like you had. I've also come close to turning in two beautiful and tender sliced chicken breasts instead of thighs, once again, fear of judges not judging as presented.
EMTTLC is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

There is the way it is supposed to be and the way that it is in reality. More times than not you will get dinged by at least one judge if you turn in something other than what is expected.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

I was just thinking yesterday about what would happen if I turned in a box of only burnt ends.
82's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Just a thought, but pork has had guidelines for judging tenderness (mushy) by using your tongue and the roof of your mouth. No such guidelines for brisket though.

I think you got screwed, I can judge tenderness of brisket outside of the pull test from experience cooking and eating them. That's something no amount of CBJ training can ever cover. That said, not sure how anyone without that experience can judge it if the only guideline they have ever known is the pull test. Outside of common sense of course (which is always in short supply no matter what you do).
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member

Last edited by bigabyte; 10-21-2012 at 10:58 PM..
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It is stressed on the CD that's played at every judges meeting that you're not supposed to judge for what you like,but judge according to KCBS standards. Every CBJ class is taught that you judge "as presented by the cook". Personally, if you give me a box full of some great burnt ends your scores (from me) are going to show a lot of 8s or 9s, but that's just me .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
FMJ
Found some matches.

Default more than 1 way

several judges look for cooked more than 1 way as an indicater of better skils.. ie pulled , chopped, & sliced pork. No comperative judging -- but something has to set the bar & can't go back & change a score

Unread 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
CaptTable
Full Fledged Farker

Hopefully, that judge was spoken to afterwards. We try to stress that the CD says "one way fo determine tenderness (on brisket) is the pull test". ONE WAY, not the ONLY way.
CaptTable is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i always thought the pull test was to detirmine underdone or overdoneand as you can have a very tender bisket that would fall apart and fail the pull test maybe they should reconsider that as a way of judging tenderness. to me the flat and the point cook like the breast and the thigh of the chicken respectivly. judges have no need to see breast meat when judging thighs and as more and more competitors see that dry flat slices might be pulling down the scores on juicy burnt ends i think you will see less and less of it.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

WTF?

The category is "Brisket," not "Sliced Brisket."

Our best placement (4th) in brisket came from truning in only burnt ends. They were THAT good, and the flat was so-so. I looked at is "Why would I want to eat those slices when I could have these burnt ends?"

At a subsequent competition, I heard a comment made by a judge, about our previous competition, and I believe most likely judged our burnt ends. The comment made was that "if they only turned in burnt ends can you imagine how bad the flat must have been?" Huh?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Last edited by timzcardz; 10-22-2012 at 09:54 AM..
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
dhuffjr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
"if they only turned in burnt ends can you imagine how bad the flat must have been?"
Which totally discounts the possibility that maybe you dropped it and ends was your only choice.

The reps should have talked to the judge who submitted that comment card IMHO.

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

At IBCA and lonestar cooks that I have cooked and judged at, and we don't even get to touch the meat. If you can cut a large enough peice, which most of the time you can on brisket, it's all good. IMO if you only had burnt ends in the box, that would throw a flag in my head, "flat was way overcooked and this is all he could salvage"
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

That judge does have nice handwriting. If I wrote it no one would have any idea what I said.
Blue Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

i'm a judge, that's embarrassing.

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post

"if they only turned in burnt ends can you imagine how bad the flat must have been?"
Which totally discounts the possibility that maybe you dropped it and ends was your only choice.

The reps should have talked to the judge who submitted that comment card IMHO.
It wasn't a comment card. It was stated in the course of a conversation by the judge to one of my team members at a competition two weeks later. The judge didn't know that we were the ones that had turned in only burnt ends.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote