ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Does RD charge a membership fee if you just have a qualifying business and join?
Was the KCBS one free.

I could look it up, but I am lazy this PM

TIM
RD charged me $0.00 for membership and two cards.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

It would have been nice for KCBS to give advance notice of this. I could have saved $35. I joined last year (and renewed this year) to get the discount prices for an annual fundraiser, so now I'm paying retail and also out an add'l $35. Seems that this sort of info would be worth mentioning to members.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
mcbrew13
Knows what a fatty is.

This sucks. I love that place.
I don't know how you guys are just showing your cards. RD must be trained in your area. I always have to print out the coupon in Denver. Hopefully they figure it out. I consider this worth renewing my KCBS.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

I got a free TIN from the IRS, took it RD and got a membership - they asked me how many cards I wanted. Didn't require a business license.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
I got a free TIN from the IRS, took it RD and got a membership - they asked me how many cards I wanted. Didn't require a business license.

I tried it here with just my EIN, but no go, they wanted a biz license.

Guess it matters where you are at.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
BLUE Thermapen

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

This is right off of the RD website...

*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

I just happen to have cards for a business and for a non-profit (high school football concessions).

Each year the RD asks for a copy of my current biz license but don't ask for the non-profit.

In my county the biz license costs $108 based on my paltry amount of revenue each year.

Your mileage may vary.

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Toddler
Found some matches.

You don't have to necessarily be registered as a business in your state to get an EIN:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

Apply online, takes about 5 minutes to get a PDF you can use to open a bank account or whatever else you need. Most likely the girl at the service desk will take that and run with it--if not, come back another day I guess.

I sent an email to Steve Farrin (KCBS BoD member) asking if he can provice any clarification on the general KCBS/RD situation.
Toddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I tried it here with just my EIN, but no go, they wanted a biz license.

Guess it matters where you are at.
Same for me. They definitely wanted the biz license.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp

I pay taxes at RD.

When I set it up, I did not set it up as a reseller, and set it up instead as a private chef (end user) and asked that they tax me so there would not be any issues down the road.

BLUE Thermapen

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.

Considering the options for brisket, pork butts, parsley, Cambro, Minor's products, well, there was no options.

Heck, I still have a 50 mile drive 1 way to the closet RD. But, it is worth it.

Out here in Northern VA area, there is no option for brisket except from our butcher and that is up to $3.79lb!!!

Trust me, it is worth it. But, I hate going there cause I am like a kid in a candy store once inside.

My wife says my eyes get glazed over once I enter.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.
I looked into the NOVA license today. What address did you use for your license? I see if I use my home address I have to pay for an inspection. Any tips you can PM would be greatly appreciated.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I used my home address. The license is not for a resteraunt, but rather a license to do business.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

RD told me that any business license can get you a membership. It doesn't have to be food service related. I think the memberships are just to keep the general public from crowding the place.

Also Churches and other not for profit groups can get tax free memberships.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

This seriously saddens me. I was planning on getting the kcbs membership tomorrow and draining my bank account on saturday.

Question: my neighbor friends have a construction business and also a tanning business. Is it possible for them to get a memberships and they authorize me and I get a RD card?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote