The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition Desire but needing Help in TX!

I am in the process of ordering a smoker (Lang 84 reverse flow or equivalent - lots of debate i know on it but that is an entirely different topic lol) and I have some experience with Pork Shoulder, Ribs, and Brisket. I haven't got a clue on how to prep Chicken though.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in the Dallas area looking for a grunt to help out and maybe mentor a little bit. I've got an open mind and looking for some help and guidance.

Thanks,
Gerry

Unread 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

One small thing - make sure that you find out which sanctioning body you're going to be cooking in. There's a world of difference between KCBS chicken and some other association's chicken. Putting the wrong one in the box will be a disaster .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Right now I think I'm headed in the direction of KCBS for my foundation then can branch out from there. But I'm very open to learning. I am a geek by day (track down hackers) and a bit inclined to thorough note taking and then experimentation.

Unread 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

There are very few KCBS contests in Texas. You will find a boat load of IBCA and LSBA cookoffs all over the place on most weekends. With that being said, 1/2 chicken is the required turn-in and, at a larger contest, you may be required to turn in 2 each fully jointed 1/2 chickens with the wing tip in place. They can be cooked whole and then split or split and cooked, your preferance. Go to their web sites and they have suggestions and instructions on this.

I might recommend that you attend several cookoffs and judge to get an idea of the methods, flavors and quality of the product turned in. Talk to the cooks at the contest and most will even give you pointers and may allow a sample after the fact.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
There are very few KCBS contests in Texas. You will find a boat load of IBCA and LSBA cookoffs all over the place on most weekends. With that being said, 1/2 chicken is the required turn-in and, at a larger contest, you may be required to turn in 2 each fully jointed 1/2 chickens with the wing tip in place. They can be cooked whole and then split or split and cooked, your preferance. Go to their web sites and they have suggestions and instructions on this.

I might recommend that you attend several cookoffs and judge to get an idea of the methods, flavors and quality of the product turned in. Talk to the cooks at the contest and most will even give you pointers and may allow a sample after the fact.

Thanks ... I'm actually waiting on my KCBS membership to process then was going to look at the Judging course. Will add IBCA and LSBA to that list. Need to educate myself and Judging was a great suggestion. Still need lots of practice but its a start. Thanks.