oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default HELP!!! Is this the dreaded stall? What to do?

I can't tell if things are the same, or going backwards?

Is this normal?

Is there any way to get fixed?

Will foil help?

Discuss.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
caseydog

Well, a handful of unrelated things happened this year, that kind of stalled things, IMO.

First, we had the Caveman Clusterfark, where a bunch of feelings got hurt.

Then, we had a string of themes that were a bit too clever, and others that were too broad.

Then, bigabyte hits a busy spell, and can't get vote threads up, so we go a few weeks with no functioning throwdowns.

I think the Veterans vs. Nubians TD, although fun, also sucked a lot of air out of the room -- although it also brought some new TD competitors into the mix.

This year's hot weather may have put a damper on enthusiasm to cook outside, too.

I also need to ask, bigabyte, are you burned out? I know you are busy, but you post in the woodpile, so I have to wonder if you are finding it hard to get motivated to build vote threads and other PITA duties. Maybe we need two mods to share the work, and cover for each other during busy times.

We need to get back in a groove, with a regular routine, and some themes that draw on our creativity, without being too contrived. I think the last three themes have been good ones, but we need to get a couple vote threads up to get back on schedule.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I blame my farking house Painting is coming along nicely though and I just might find spare time here in a week or two.

Oh, and one thing to think about would maybe be a "Back to basics" run of TD's. It might generate some interest and participation to have categories that people normally cook.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
bigabyte

I'm not burned out. I have been busy and have taken the day off today now that things seem back to normal at work at least. The rest of life is busy still, but today is about going out and enjoying the beautiful weather, letting Lucy play, and since I have this phone I'm keeping up on you farkers today and enjoying the chance to post again.

All of my TD stuff is on a flash drive which is not available to my phone, but even then, I might choose recreational posting today over TD thread stuff.

As for the rate of TD's, each year comes a busy time, usually around this time, and things slow down like this. It is perfectly normal and no different from every other year. Except one year when I took a hiatus from BBQ for health reasons and Smoke Jumper filled in. He only offered after a few weeks of no TD's at all, which we haven't seen happen yet this year. The rest of the year, weekly TD's are no problem and we even see special categories added in.

The TD's have been going for over 4 years now, and pretty much nobody from those first couple years have participated in over a year. People come and go for any number of reasons. For some they just lose whatever interest that originally made them special. In some cases, users leave the site entirely.

Just because some prior regulars leave has never caused any problems before, and I do not expect that to ever change. The place kept going after third eye, RTD, JDMcGee, Cracklin Jorge, River City Smokehouse and others who are legendary multiple TD winning weekly regulars stopped posting. Having other folks like Gore or Red hot have life get in the way to where they stop participating regularly is unlikely to have any different of a result, but we can all hope any of these folks can come back and would be welcomed. Except for maybe Gore. He's a farker!

I could always be wrong though. However, past predictions that the TD's are either no longer fun or have jumped the shark, or other such scenarios have so far all proven to be quite premature.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
bigabyte

Oh, I also don't believe categories are a huge problem. I do like general categories, thus the attempted "Master Series", but what draws people here and makes it fun is picking and cooking unique things. So...other than maybe a Caveman category, there is basically no such thing as a dud. When participation drops from a string of unpopular categories, without fail someone calls a great one. It has never required intervention.

Again, just my opinion after watching these things over 4 years now.

Duh.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
caseydog

Maybe we should have a "prodigal son" special throwdown, for past winners who have not entered in more than a year.

CD
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

My thoughts:

I have never entered a TD, but was tempted a couple of times.

I really, really enjoy the entries and have used many of them to inspire and elevate my cooking.

I have no idea if anything needs "tweaking" or whatever, but keep it going if possible!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

ps--who won the "noobian" marathon??
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
caseydog

BTW, since you are not burned out, when are you going to get your polls up?

CD
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
My thoughts:

I have never entered a TD, but was tempted a couple of times.

I really, really enjoy the entries and have used many of them to inspire and elevate my cooking.

I have no idea if anything needs "tweaking" or whatever, but keep it going if possible!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

ps--who won the "noobian" marathon??
I hope you will enter, soon.

And, the Veterans won.

CD
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
bigabyte

Yeah, the veterans won and Will work for BBQ took the crown in the Noobs vs Vets TD. The results can't be seen in the poll though because I used Survey Monkey, but I did post the results of the poll in the thread to help.

Duh.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Ron_L

I'll be totally honest with you guys...

I used to participate in the throw downs quite a bit, but I think I've only entered one in the last two years.

Why?

Good Question...

there are a couple of reasons...

1. As mentioned, some of the categories are getting pretty esoteric. "Cook it like Cowgirl" just didn't do it for me. I can't seem to find my open pit or discada and I still can't catch any fresh shrimp from my swimming pool :). From the Heart, Cook it Like Cameltoe Elvis, Caveman Style, and Man V Food are others that I just didn't get. The recent bones or fowl categories were better, so was breakfast and some others. But, that brings me to..

2. The throw down threads are impossible to read. there is so much "witty repartee" that I don't even bother any more. I don't want to sound like a snob, but wading through 150 - 200 posts just to find the dozen or so that are entries isn't on my priority list.

So... What to do...

For the categories, maybe stick to things that can easily be qualified. It doesn't have to be "beef" or "chicken". Something with bones is fine.

For the threads, maybe a "discussion" thread separate from an entries thread? That way those who want to discuss special rules and such can do it, but those who just want to see what folks are entering (before the throw down closes and voting begins) can do that. It may even be possible to just add a poll to the entries thread and make it a vote thread. I haven't looked to see if the forum software allows that.

So there it is... My $02 (US). Not that you really wanted to read it

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
caseydog

Hmmm, I have heard other people comment about the whack-a-doodlry in the Throwdowns, which I actually enjoy, but some folks don't have the advanced senses of humor that we W-A-Ds have.

Maybe a sticky thread for entries, and a regular thread for "discussion" might not be a bad idea. Maybe Ronelle isn't as dumb as we thought. Or, maybe he is, and we should just ignore him.

CD
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Maybe Ronelle isn't as dumb as we thought. Or, maybe he is, and we should just ignore him.
I'm thinking with my pickle again!

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Hmmm, I have heard other people comment about the whack-a-doodlry in the Throwdowns, which I actually enjoy, but some folks don't have the advanced senses of humor that we W-A-Ds have.

Maybe a sticky thread for entries, and a regular thread for "discussion" might not be a bad idea. Maybe Ronelle isn't as dumb as we thought. Or, maybe he is, and we should just ignore him.

CD
Don't you mean whack-a doodldry, CD?

Now what were we talking about again?

Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
buccaneer

Quote:

CD
Split them, I have thought the same for some time.
Sometimes (okay almost all the time) I am into the whackadoodlery but I really get how it hurts a TD because so many...and sometimes I...just want to see entries and do it.
It's too frustrating loading page after page looking for the entries when you are not in that frame of insanit....er...mind.
My 2 cents...
this thread is a moneymaker...thats 4 cents already!