The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I highly recommend a drip pan for duck or goose... that clay saucer could fill up full of grease rather soon and you would have a mess on your hand. I did a rotiss duck on a a gasser some years ago and it was quite an adventure when I realized the shallow pan beneath it was going to overflow with grease.

Definitely save the rendered fat. pomme frites in duck fat rock!
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

That all sounds very good! For the first try on whole poultry I'll stick with either chicken or turkey, and hopefully it will be a huge success, which is very much needed to convince the family after that epic fail.

But as it seems I'll get a goose fresh from an acquaintance's farm next week or the week after, so this will be quite interesting. I'll post a full report after the cooks as usual.

Unread 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question

Well, it was a late Friday evening shopping, and this is what I got for Sunday's cook:

These are three tiny Perutnina Chicken with a total weight of 8.09 lbs. They are already in the brine, which I made with Sal Marina Natural + White Sugar + Black Peppercorns + Honey.

I have put them into the brine whole as they came. Should I have spatchcocked them before, should I do it after brining or after drying in the fridge, or does that not matter at all?

When would be the best point in time to inject?

How much of the wings and legs would I want to foil at the beginning of the cook, and for how long?

Unread 10-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

After great feasts with chicken and turkey it's indeed goose for my next cook this Friday (a national holiday).

I got a fresh supposedly quite lean all natural goose with a weight of about 7.72 lbs from one of our acquaintance's farm.

As I want to save the excess of fat (if there really is) I don't want to steam first, but just puncture the skin and put a large enameled casserole on the lower grate of my WSM under the spatchcocked goose.

The question is now, if to brine or not, and if I should apply by spiced butter on and under the skin (like I did with chicken and turkey), or just apply rub with or without EVO on the outside.

Oh, and would it be a bad idea, to put raw potatoes cut in fries directly into the pan under the goose)?

I'll post a photo of the goose once I spatchcocked it before putting into the brine (or not).

Unread 10-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

We do duck a number of ways. My wife makes a very nice Peking duck, but it is about 3 days of prep. For something quite a bit easier, we grill it, but after scoring and cooking the fat down: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=122273

Here's the summary:
Score the fat and season the breasts.

The primary goal in cooking duck is rendering as much of the fat as possible. I want a thin, and crispy outer layer if possible. I cut the grooves to help with the rendering. I put these into a frying pan.

and use the side burner on the gasser. I don't think I've used that side burner for anything else. It is really good for duck though as duck has a LOT of fat and if I tried to do this in the house, I'd probably be divorced:

The pic is about halfway done. Look at all that duck fat in the frying pan, better there than in me. The grease continues to fill up that pan. This process takes at least 10 minutes. If this were chicken, it would be cooked all the way through in this time, but the fat really insulates the meat. I'm always amazed how much fat there is. I do not cover because I don't want the duck meat to cook, just the fat. When I've had about enough of this as I can take, I throw it on the grill:

I was in a hurry and just used the gasser. One word of caution. That duck fat is an EXCELLENT insulator. Even though I've had that breast in the frying pan, fat-side down for 10+ minutes, the meat is still pretty raw. I grill both sides for about 4-5 minutes, about how I would cook a 1.5"-thick ribeye. I don't want to overcook this. If you take duck past medium rare, I find it tastes like liver.

The color on this is redder than it really was, but you can tell that it is still pretty pink. In reality it was between rare and medium rare. Note the fat layer is much thinner and even crispy. On the nearer side, it's thicker than I would have liked. I probably could've kept it in the frying pan a few more minutes, but it's still pretty good.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

That duck looks awesome!

BTW...duck fat is a lot healthier than many other fats, and is great for frying fries, pork rinds, anything fried in duck fat is pretty good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
We do duck a number of ways. My wife makes a very nice Peking duck, but it is about 3 days of prep. For something quite a bit easier, we grill it, but after scoring and cooking the fat down: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=122273
Wow, that looks awesome, thanks for sharing! Will have to look out for duck breasts one day, but first I need a proper grill (only have my WSM right now, I don't count my good old African Cow Dung Charcoal Grills any more).

I haven't taken a look at our goose yet, it's still in a bag in the fridge, so this will be very interesting to see how fatty that goose really is.

If there really is enough fat under the skin, should I only rub it, or would I want to get rub also under the skin?

As said, I'll post a picture once I have spatchcocked it and decided on brine or no brine.