Cost of The Royal

Pelkster

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know this might be a little soon to ask, but I am planning on attending the Royal next year for both the Invitational and the Open. What I'm trying to do is get a rough estimate on costs. I'll be driving down with my trailer, so I know that the fuel costs are subject to change, but what about everything else? Do I need to buy some kind of barrier for my site? What about port a potties? Anything else you vets have come across that a rookie might not think of, considering that it is the Royal?

Many thanks!

Keith

$2500 at least. Yes porta potty for sure. There are threads recently on fencing. Arrive by Thursday noon so food and drink for 4 days. Book hotel early unless you can sleep in your trailer or rent a motor home. Figure double normal for food and 4 times beer and booze. There is a lot of socializing. Fuel may be your biggest cost.

Round trip is going to be about 2000 miles for you, so your probably going to fill up every 200 miles. So fuel alone is gonna be around $1000 plus all the other stuff mentioned above. I would plan on having around $4000, just to be on the safe side. Last year it costs us ~$1500 in gas, ~$400 in hotel, ~$1200 for comp supplies(Two comps worth of Meat, Sauce, Rubs, port-a-potty, etc...) and ~$800 misc. It ain't cheap!!!

I'm 20 minutes from the Royal, so there are others who are better to comment on travel costs. However, I learned this year that garbage service, electricity, your own private porta potty, etc. are all extras.

I paid for only my space in advance and had to scramble for other services when I got there.

Just for reference. I came in from Houston Texas this year and total cost for me is approx $2500.

That was about 1700 miles, entry on Sunday, meat & supplies for both competition days, hotel rooms, meals, souvenirs, .... no alcohol since I do not drink .....

Hope this helps as a guide .....

We came in from the Dallas area and got there Wed night and it was over $2,500

Space cost $450.00,
Electric $25.00
Porta potty rental $85.00,
80 pounds of ice $18.00,
Dessert entry $25.00,
Potato entry $15.00,
Sausage entry $15.00
Gas around trip about $450.00
KC toll charge $18.00
Cost of meat for 2 days of cook off $400.00
Then you got cost of rub, wood, breakfast, lunch and dinner etc etc..

At least the Invitational was free :shock:

Last edited:
We drove in from ny. 2600 miles round trip.

$800 for the spot included porta john, 2 bags ice, electric and pins.

About 700 on meats for 2 contests
200 at kc bbq store for supplies
300 at restaurant depot for supplies
600 on hotel for 7 nights(travel nights and contest weekend)
Havent figured gas yet by estimate 1200.

$3400-$3800

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm low budget (i.e., CHEAP)! Have a class B motorhome so don't need portajohn, hotel etc. Spent $375 for space, side entries, electric and hay bales. Purchased one bag of ice for $9. Fuel cost was about $150. Drank bottled water except for a beer on Thursday (thanks Western Wood guys!). Spent $10 with the cookie lady and bought a long sleeve t-shirt for $25.00.

You don't have meat costs in there, lady. I was starting to feel sick at the thought that we live and here and spent WAY more than that....LOL!

545 teams... $2500 average cost per team...

And roughly 1% of the population knows about competition BBQ...

Meanwhile, 47% knows that Sarah Palin's oldest daughter got pregnant at some time...

Porta Potty wise, there were lots of public ones available, and real bathrooms in the exhibition hall. You might consider sharing one with your space neighbor? The units were pretty nice and new, and I've used worse at our local comps.

Barrier wise, unless you are throwing your own party and need access/crowd control, I would say that it's not needed. I have plastic chain and caution tape that I use all the time at comps, so it's just standard equipment. We did put all of our extra gear back in the cargo trailer on Friday night when the parties were happening, like chairs and cambro. Four walls for your prep area is a good idea to keep warm. But if you prep in your trailer you would be fine. The notes I took away was in regards to keeping me and the pit WARM.

$800 Entry fpr 20' x 50' Space (Includes Porta Potty, 4 Bags Ice, 2 Bags Kingsford Comp) + Meat, Liquor, Food, Fuel, etc = Approx $2200.

$2200 - Winnings - Sponsorship = WOO HOO!!!!!

$800 Entry fpr 20' x 50' Space (Includes Porta Potty, 4 Bags Ice, 2 Bags Kingsford Comp) + Meat, Liquor, Food, Fuel, etc = Approx $2200.

$2200 - Winnings - Sponsorship = WOO HOO!!!!!

have you seen this lately?

:butt::moon::butt::moon::butt::moon::butt::moon:

:biteme:

You don't have meat costs in there, lady. I was starting to feel sick at the thought that we live and here and spent WAY more than that....LOL!

Candy Sue is a bit short on cash---I have not called in my pellet order :grin: :grin:

It is all too big for me to comprehend. :mmph:

Glad y'all had a good time.

TIM

Our spot was on Wyoming St. and we had no need for any type of fencing. In fact, I didn't see any spots in Lot B that I thought someone would need fencing for. We paid $608 for our spot that was suppose to be 20' x 50'. That included electric, porta potty, 2 bags of kingsford and a couple of pins. I would only get a room for Thursday and Saturday night next time. Friday night has way to much activity and entertainment to miss out on.

I think we were around $2500 with all of the costs.

Last edited:
A once in a lifetime experience. -maybe twice.

We went last year and lost two extra days of work for travel time.The lodging, food, fuel, entry fees, meat, and "misc. material" picked up 12 miles away.
We spent close to $3k, but as long as you win - no problem. We won zip, but the experience was priceless. We saw parts of America we would have never seen otherwise. Everyone needs to go at least once in a lifetime - expecially if you own a BBQ store, sell smokers or trailers and can deduct the trip.
Stay away from the DARK SIDE!

Start saving now its going to set you back about at least $2500. Don't skimp out and try to save money by skipping on the porta John, make sure you lock it and make sure you secure your perimeter. This year the crowds seemed to be pretty small and you might not have needed either, if you hit a good warm year, you will wish you had both. Don't miss this dark side on Friday night even if you just walk through, buy tshirts early and don't try to do everything. The Royal can be overwhelming don't let it get to you.

We are invited again in 2013, which luckily makes it our 4th year with an invite since 2006 and 3rd year in a row. Yes it's expensive, but even if we had no sponsors we would go. It would not be for the dark side (didn't even go over this year) or for the drinking (I can do that at home for less money) or for the contest (it's a pretty big cr@p shoot). I go to see my friends.

Round trip is going to be about 2000 miles for you, so your probably going to fill up every 200 miles. So fuel alone is gonna be around $1000 plus all the other stuff mentioned above. I would plan on having around $4000, just to be on the safe side. Last year it costs us ~$1500 in gas, ~$400 in hotel, ~$1200 for comp supplies(Two comps worth of Meat, Sauce, Rubs, port-a-potty, etc...) and ~$800 misc. It ain't cheap!!!

Misc being PBR and Gentlemens? :biggrin1:

Maybe you can borrow Paul from our team. He talked his way into five private parties with food and open bar. Really cut down on expenses. :becky:

Back