ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Pelkster
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cost of The Royal

Hey folks,

I know this might be a little soon to ask, but I am planning on attending the Royal next year for both the Invitational and the Open. What I'm trying to do is get a rough estimate on costs. I'll be driving down with my trailer, so I know that the fuel costs are subject to change, but what about everything else? Do I need to buy some kind of barrier for my site? What about port a potties? Anything else you vets have come across that a rookie might not think of, considering that it is the Royal?

Many thanks!

Keith

Unread 10-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

$2500 at least. Yes porta potty for sure. There are threads recently on fencing. Arrive by Thursday noon so food and drink for 4 days. Book hotel early unless you can sleep in your trailer or rent a motor home. Figure double normal for food and 4 times beer and booze. There is a lot of socializing. Fuel may be your biggest cost.

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Smokin Hoggz
On the road to being a farker

Round trip is going to be about 2000 miles for you, so your probably going to fill up every 200 miles. So fuel alone is gonna be around $1000 plus all the other stuff mentioned above. I would plan on having around $4000, just to be on the safe side. Last year it costs us ~$1500 in gas, ~$400 in hotel, ~$1200 for comp supplies(Two comps worth of Meat, Sauce, Rubs, port-a-potty, etc...) and ~$800 misc. It ain't cheap!!!
2011 Jack Daniels World Champion Smokin' Hoggz BBQ, Humphrey's Chips & Chunks, Head Country Food Products, Butcher BBQ, EarthStone Intl, iGrill, Frontier Charcoal, Backwoods fatboy, Humphrey's Battle Box, Humphrey's Qube'd Pint, 18" WSM(2), Weber OTG(2), Lg BGE
Smokin Hoggz is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm 20 minutes from the Royal, so there are others who are better to comment on travel costs. However, I learned this year that garbage service, electricity, your own private porta potty, etc. are all extras.

I paid for only my space in advance and had to scramble for other services when I got there.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Texana
Knows what a fatty is.

Just for reference. I came in from Houston Texas this year and total cost for me is approx $2500.

That was about 1700 miles, entry on Sunday, meat & supplies for both competition days, hotel rooms, meals, souvenirs, .... no alcohol since I do not drink .....

Hope this helps as a guide .....
Texana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Kevin_Texas
On the road to being a farker

We came in from the Dallas area and got there Wed night and it was over $2,500

Space cost $450.00,
Electric $25.00
Porta potty rental $85.00,
80 pounds of ice $18.00,
Dessert entry $25.00,
Potato entry $15.00,
Sausage entry $15.00
Gas around trip about $450.00
KC toll charge $18.00
Cost of meat for 2 days of cook off $400.00
Then you got cost of rub, wood, breakfast, lunch and dinner etc etc..

At least the Invitational was free
Like us on FB CRC BBQ

Last edited by Kevin_Texas; 10-11-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Kevin_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

We drove in from ny. 2600 miles round trip.

$800 for the spot included porta john, 2 bags ice, electric and pins.

About 700 on meats for 2 contests
200 at kc bbq store for supplies
300 at restaurant depot for supplies
600 on hotel for 7 nights(travel nights and contest weekend)
Havent figured gas yet by estimate 1200.

$3400-$3800

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm low budget (i.e., CHEAP)! Have a class B motorhome so don't need portajohn, hotel etc. Spent $375 for space, side entries, electric and hay bales. Purchased one bag of ice for $9. Fuel cost was about $150. Drank bottled water except for a beer on Thursday (thanks Western Wood guys!). Spent $10 with the cookie lady and bought a long sleeve t-shirt for $25.00.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

You don't have meat costs in there, lady. I was starting to feel sick at the thought that we live and here and spent WAY more than that....LOL!

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

545 teams... $2500 average cost per team...

And roughly 1% of the population knows about competition BBQ...

Meanwhile, 47% knows that Sarah Palin's oldest daughter got pregnant at some time...
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
didisea
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Porta Potty wise, there were lots of public ones available, and real bathrooms in the exhibition hall. You might consider sharing one with your space neighbor? The units were pretty nice and new, and I've used worse at our local comps.

Barrier wise, unless you are throwing your own party and need access/crowd control, I would say that it's not needed. I have plastic chain and caution tape that I use all the time at comps, so it's just standard equipment. We did put all of our extra gear back in the cargo trailer on Friday night when the parties were happening, like chairs and cambro. Four walls for your prep area is a good idea to keep warm. But if you prep in your trailer you would be fine. The notes I took away was in regards to keeping me and the pit WARM.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

$800 Entry fpr 20' x 50' Space (Includes Porta Potty, 4 Bags Ice, 2 Bags Kingsford Comp) + Meat, Liquor, Food, Fuel, etc = Approx $2200.

$2200 - Winnings - Sponsorship = WOO HOO!!!!!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
$800 Entry fpr 20' x 50' Space (Includes Porta Potty, 4 Bags Ice, 2 Bags Kingsford Comp) + Meat, Liquor, Food, Fuel, etc = Approx $2200.

$2200 - Winnings - Sponsorship = WOO HOO!!!!!

have you seen this lately?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
You don't have meat costs in there, lady. I was starting to feel sick at the thought that we live and here and spent WAY more than that....LOL!
Candy Sue is a bit short on cash---I have not called in my pellet order

It is all too big for me to comprehend.

Glad y'all had a good time.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Our spot was on Wyoming St. and we had no need for any type of fencing. In fact, I didn't see any spots in Lot B that I thought someone would need fencing for. We paid $608 for our spot that was suppose to be 20' x 50'. That included electric, porta potty, 2 bags of kingsford and a couple of pins. I would only get a room for Thursday and Saturday night next time. Friday night has way to much activity and entertainment to miss out on.

I think we were around $2500 with all of the costs.

Last edited by Rich Parker; 10-11-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote