The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
shirknwrk
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Butcher paper vs. paper sack...

In the butcher paper red/white thread, Bludawg mentioned using ordinary paper grocery sacks to wrap turkey or brisket so I'm wondering "Why not?" I suppose a very big brisket would need a very big bag... or two... but is there any other reason NOT to take advantage of grocery bags for use in a smoker? I've got a 4lb chuck that will just fit in a shallow foil pan that will just fit sideways in a big grocery sack... Thinking I could just fold the top over and under the whole thing and stick the temp probe through the sack. Got lotsa sacks.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
Thinking I could just fold the top over and under the whole thing and stick the temp probe through the sack.
Only one way to find out.....

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Let us know how it works out.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

When I was a kid, my mom would cook our Thanksgiving turkey in a brown paper bag soaked in peanut oil and tied with a piece of twine. Came out moist & juicy every time. Seems like the same principle at work here...

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

When I was in boy scouts they taught us we could cook bacon and eggs in a brown paper bag over an open fire, you cook the bacon first, and you have to use some care to not light the bag on fire.

But brown paper bags could have nearly any recycled paper products in them, I'd buy butcher paper first ;-).

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some "experts" say that cooking in brown paper bags could be unsanitary. They may have a point. The glues, dyes and paper itself is not meant to be food quality.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Safe...rown-Paper.htm

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Some "experts" say that cooking in brown paper bags could be unsanitary. They may have a point. The glues, dyes and paper itself is not meant to be food quality.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Safe...rown-Paper.htm
It aint kilt me yet!! My Granny & My Ma both cooked turkeys in grocery sacs, and I use them for Briskets mainly because I cant get Butcher paper locally.Once the stuff is heated above 160 all the nasties are kilt off making it sterile. If your worried about the ink make sure it stays on the outside. As for it being sanitary Part of emergency delivery of a Baby it is recommended that the new child is wrapped in a new newspaper a because it is sanitary and to keep the li'll tike warm. And who decides what is food safe anyway??? Some pencil neck named Poindexter?

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
And who decides what is food safe anyway??? Some pencil neck named Poindexter?

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Wampus

'course....round here you can't even FIND paper grocery sacks and I sure wouldn't want to wrap my BBQ in plastic!
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
jestridge

I know one thing they good for when it done and you wrap it in foil then put the meat in a grocery bag a very good insulator BTW no the glue not going to kill you. the fat in the meat will kill you before the damn glue will
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote