BGE on CL

DaChief

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am going by to look at a large BGE that was just advertised on CL pretty near my house for $500. I really haven't looked into them that much and was looking for pointers of things I should look out for from those of you that experience with these. According to the poster, no damage at all and hasn't been used very much. Other than obvious cracks/felt seal is there something else I should examine closely?

Don't worry too much about the gasket as they can be easily replaced if it is burnt out. Obviously it is something to look at, but probably the bottom of the list for a deal breaker. Other than cracks make sure it opens and closes correctly.

rust on the hinges, or any other part. Cracked firebox or fire ring. Make sure he has the metal top and the ceramic top. The bottom damper isn't bent or missing. The fire grate is in the bottom of the egg. Any accessories? plate setter? grid extender? ash tool? grid lifter? electric lighter? none of that...i'd offer $400

Inspect as closely as you can for cracks. Sometimes they are not obvious.

My large cracked on the bottom. I did not notice it until I removed the egg from the table for cleaning. I turned it over and noticed a crack all along the bottom. As I looked closer the crack had started to work its way up the side of the egg.

I'd also offer $400 and a very legitimate reason for offering a lower amount is that the lifetime warranty only extends to the original owner.

Back