The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I've got a new #2 La Caja China that I'm roasting my first pig on Saturday. I'll post how it goes. I did a picnic shoulder on it just to break it in, and wasn't all that impressed compared to doing one on my BGE. It used a ton of fuel, and took a long time for something that is supposed to be faster than smoking.

Then again, you can't fit a 70lb pig on the BGE. :)
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan View Post
I've got a new #2 La Caja China that I'm roasting my first pig on Saturday. I'll post how it goes. I did a picnic shoulder on it just to break it in, and wasn't all that impressed compared to doing one on my BGE. It used a ton of fuel, and took a long time for something that is supposed to be faster than smoking.

Then again, you can't fit a 70lb pig on the BGE. :)
Only real disadvantage I see is no smoke. It really isn't designed to do 1 shoulder. If you'd had it filled, it likely would have been more efficient. But for 1 you likely had to use the same amount of coals, so yeah, more time, and less efficiency. If you'd done 8 or so shoulders, you might have had better results?
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Only real disadvantage I see is no smoke. It really isn't designed to do 1 shoulder. If you'd had it filled, it likely would have been more efficient. But for 1 you likely had to use the same amount of coals, so yeah, more time, and less efficiency. If you'd done 8 or so shoulders, you might have had better results?
Absolutely! I just wanted to get in a practice cook on the caja before I had 50 friends over to embarrass myself in front of. Not that it won't happen anyway. I did learn alot from the shoulder cook. I was just amazed at how fast I was burning through the charcoal. I'm used to using the BGE where that much charcoal by weight would have fueled 30 hours worth of cooking time.

It wasn't the right tool for the job in this particular instance. I just wanted to use the tool! :) This weekend, I'll really get to see it do what it was made to do!

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0

I did 5 pigs on my La Caja #2 this year. It's a different cook, but an pig rubbed in adobo and then injected with mojo criollo is something special.

I have the grates to go over the coals and often will be roasting corn, plobanos, vildallas etc while the box is doing the magic bellow. Also a few hamburgers and hoot dogs for the now pig eaters.

Also, the wind screen is necessary
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser

super sneaky thermapen disguised as a protemp
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
SmokerKing
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
I did 5 pigs on my La Caja #2 this year. It's a different cook, but an pig rubbed in adobo and then injected with mojo criollo is something special.

I have the grates to go over the coals and often will be roasting corn, plobanos, vildallas etc while the box is doing the magic bellow. Also a few hamburgers and hoot dogs for the now pig eaters.

Also, the wind screen is necessary
I purchased the adobo and mojo from Caja China and will be using them on my first pig.

Can you tell me how high the charcoal grate is above the ash pan?
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #21
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chickens, turkeys, butts and picnics are all good for practicing on with the LCC. True, no smoke flavor, but I heard of people using that maze smoker in the LCC as well as the cold smoke generators like the Smoke Pistol or Smoke Daddy. I have one of Norco's Redneck smoke generators, just haven't drilled into the LCC to git r dun.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
You know, it's not a disadvantage unless you make it one. The Caja China is a pig ROASTER not a BBQ pit. Just like Hawaiian luau pig is NOT BBQ so the same applies to the Caja China roasted pig...

Viva la difference!! Enjoy each for what they mean to the cultures to which they were developed!

YMMV!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

we use them for catering gigs and love them. we have 2 of the big ones. we start the pig first thing in one and usually fill the other one with foil wrapped corn on the cob. when the corn is done (1-2 hours) we then usually fit about 60-70 chicken pieces in it skin side down and cook til 150 degrees. flip the chicken and it finishes and crisps the chicken skin and it all is done around the same time. we have one of their grates that sits on top of the coals and do hot dogs, burgers and sauce ribs on it. you use alot of coal but thats what the home depot sales are for.....

Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker,Mini WSM, "skeeter" indirect vent crossover offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chick...49911985044419

2014 Sponsors- Animal Lover Smokers, Certified Piedmontese, Butcher BBQ, Stubbs, The Briner, Shelter Logic
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I used one to do a whole hog earlier this summer. It was a lot of fun and the food came out great. True, there's no smoke, but I didn't miss it as that's not really what we were looking for. It was a lot of fun to have everyone gathered around and enjoying the cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136913
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I used one to do a whole hog earlier this summer. It was a lot of fun and the food came out great. True, there's no smoke, but I didn't miss it as that's not really what we were looking for. It was a lot of fun to have everyone gathered around and enjoying the cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136913
Thanks! That thread is really helpful!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
cheeaa
On the road to being a farker

Me and the FIL do a pig in one every Labor day. It really does produce a very consistant product. It's great everytime. His has a pellet burner with a fan that pumps in smoke. This past year was the first where I could taste a little smoke. Previous years we couldnt really get it to burn the pellets correctly, but we made it work a little better this year. Anyway, I agree it's not true bbq as we want it to be, but it is pretty damned tasty. And you can't beat getting a 70 lb pig done in 4-5 hours.