The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Cheesto
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Sealing Great Outdoors smoker

Hi everyone - new to the forum and just started learning about smoking last year. I have done some searching on this forum but have not found a solution to my problem. I own a gas Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain smoker and the only problem I have with it is that it does not have a tight seal with I close the door. When it's windy or cold, the smoker is significantly less effective.

I've heard people using welding blankets to insulate it, but that would mean having to remove it to monitor the temperature, add chips, etc... not exactly the solution I'm looking for. I'm wondering if there is some sort of insulation or

-like product that is heat resistant to make a tight-fitting seal. Any suggestions?
Cheesto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

You could maybe install a gasket, like one for a BGE (goodle BGE gasket)

I have used my GOSM only a couple times per year, both in winter, for whole upright roasted turkey, and to smoke some fresh sausage. It isn't insulated that well, so other than a gasket, your best bet is to make sure it's sheilded from the wind. If there is some sort of shield. (plywood or something else) on the side of the prevailing wind, you should see more consistency and efficiency.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default here's what I did to my smoker..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=130059
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had a terrible wind issue with mine, until I welded a chimney to the top vent. The chimney is a standard furnace chimney from HD. I tacked it onto the top vent, and put the top vent back on. The vent still opened and closed, by turning the chimney.

This kept wind from blowing down the top vent, and gave me much more stable temperatures. I still had minor leakage around the door, but not enough to be a problem.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Cheesto

Awesome! The gasket seems like the way to go. Unfortunately, I don't really have an area to shield the smoker from the wind/cold. Any suggestions on a way to insulate this type of a smoker?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Cheesto

caseydog - the chimney is a really great idea! I can see how that will keep the wind issue to a minimum... so you welded directly to the vent as opposed to welding it directly to the smoker?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesto View Post
caseydog - the chimney is a really great idea! I can see how that will keep the wind issue to a minimum... so you welded directly to the vent as opposed to welding it directly to the smoker?
Yes. It just happened that the chimney pipe was the exact same size as the top vent. So, I was able to to have a chimney with a functional "damper" at the bottom.

CD

Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

That chimney is a good idea.

However the OP is looking for help with a GAS GOSM cooker. I have a gas one and have never had issues with the cold or wind. I just turn up the burner. Door doesn't leak either. Check the adjustment on the spring handle latch.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
deguerre

Also, on the cheap GOSMs, sometimes the door won't be flush after shutting. A gentle push usually works for me. No visable leaks. I use a wind break when needed. Doesn't get cold enough where I live to bother with insulation.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Cheesto

deguerre - that's the biggest issue I have, the door isn't flush when closed, especially in the corners. I'm sure the gasket will take care of that issue.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesto View Post
deguerre - that's the biggest issue I have, the door isn't flush when closed, especially in the corners. I'm sure the gasket will take care of that issue.
Sounds like the door is tweaked a little. Can you gently try to bend it back? My door was flush all around, although not really what I'd call sealed.

CD

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
deguerre

Something like this might work...

http://www.high-que.com/Nomex-Gasket.../dp/B004MNW1TE
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That chimney is a good idea.

However the OP is looking for help with a GAS GOSM cooker. I have a gas one and have never had issues with the cold or wind. I just turn up the burner. Door doesn't leak either. Check the adjustment on the spring handle latch.
The problem I had with wind, and there is a lot of it on the North Texas prairies, is that wind would blow down the top vent, to the extent that smoke would actually come out the bottom (intake) vents.

That could happen on a Gas or charcoal GOSM. I don't know if Cheesto is having just a door issue, or both door and top vent. I was luck on my door, it fit flush all around.

CD

Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Good point CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote