Met Mr. Trigg, Mr. Lilly, and Mr. Soo at Royal today!

Cayman1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had the honor to meet and talk with all of these gentlemen at the Royal today. I say gentlemen because they are. They were cooking in the Invitational getting close to turn in for chicken but treated me as if they had known me for years. Don't get me wrong, I didn't just butt in and start talking to them. I've done enough comps to know just how hectic it is at turn in time. I was just standing watching and the conversation just started as natural as if nothing special was happening and Mr. Trigg was inducted into the BBQ Hall of Fame today. All just the finest people you could ever meet.

It must be all the smoke we inhale. I met numerous other competitors, some of whom are members of this site. All were as friendly as your next door neighbor, showing me their cookers and equipment. Maybe it was because I wasn't competing, but I don't think so. Harry said he was competing on borrowed equipment as he flew into KC and he even stated that BBQ competition people are just this way. Loan you whatever you need, no question even if you are competing against them.

The weather was horrible. 40's, windy, and cloudy but a great experience. Reaffirmed why I continue to stay up all night, eyes burning from smoke, and sometimes a headache from the Friday night parties.

I got hooked on this sport four years ago and what Cayman just said is why I got hooked. Win or lose. If we do all right or if we don't all right, at the end of the day we are proud to be competitors and friends.

A little less fuel and a little more air will clean up that eye burnin problam.:cool:

Didn't mean to omit Tuffy Stone. I actually spent almost as much time talking to Tuffy as I did with Mr. Soo and Mr. Trigg. He is a cool guy. Had cameras and interviewers around him all the time. Very outgoing and friendly with everyone.

That's just too cool! I've met Tuffy also, and Myron, and they both treated us like old friends! Just a bunch of cool people doing this BBQ thang! Congrats to you, brother!:thumb:

That's awesome! I really have to say that it must be a unique set of people that like to do competition bbq because at every comp I have been to everyone has been extremely nice and is willing to help at all times.

That had to be soooo cool!

I went on Friday to wander the tents and see if I could meet some of those guys, but it seemed like everyone was holed up in their man caves :) Next year I hope to be able to meet up with some of the brethern, as well as some of the national BBQ "rock stars"

On the plus side, I had the fantastic opportunity of being a judge in the open competition this afternoon and had some great discussion with with a competitor (and Judge) at the table.

David...

Back