The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default UDS lid question

First off, please forgive me if this is answered in the REDONKULOUSLY MASSIVE uds thread. I've been searching and reading in my spare time around children and work for 3 days now and haven't found anything. I have a open-top lid for my upcoming uds that has a rubber-like gasket where the lid meets the drum. My question is this: what are the brethren doing with it? Removing it permanently? Putting it back somehow after removing the lid liner? It seems like it would be good to help seal the lid if it was left on.....provided it can survive high temps and is food safe. I was gonna remove it but thought I'd ask first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
fr8erfxr
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

Remove it and clean the glue residue with acetone or thinner. the lid will seal fine without it.

jim

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Off with it and that tan needs to go to bare metal and shiny

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

thanks guys, the liner is definitely gonna go away.....followed by the rubber gasket. luckily it's the tan liner and it's pretty easy to remove.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

Remove the gasket, install the lid and ring, tighten it up, flip the drum over and your ready to build a UDS, you'll need a lid from a weber kettle, make sure you have the correct size drum though.

If the bottom ever rots out, you just replace the lid.
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote