Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
huntin smoke
On the road to being a farker

I use a home made pork puller. It will do a ten pound butt in 15 seconds
So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
huntin smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #32
Got Wood.

My process probably takes too long, but I trim a pretty good amount of the fat first. I take each section individually, trim any fat, and give it a very coarse chop (1.5" by 1.5" or so).

I prefer plastic food service gloves and a cleaver when it comes to trimming fat. I can feel it with my hands and I can separate larger sections quickly with a cleaver.

Trimming does take me longer, but, for me, the coarse-chopping with a cleaver saves a lot of over hand-pulling with pvc/insulated gloves. I find hand pulling to be a little tedious. A few whacks with a cleaver, and boom, I've immediately got the consistency I want.
Three 22.5" OTS's, 18" OTS, SJ ,Custom Trailer Cabinet Smoker
PollardsVision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
is one Smokin' Farker

I use the bone I remove from the butt to cut the clod down to size and then I use my hands, that are in gloves, to finish the job. Works well for me.
CBJ #31626
Lots of Weber Grills
250 Gallon Reverse Flow Smoker
My cooking blog
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #34
On the road to being a farker

I usually just do it with my bare hands a burn the hell out of myself in the process. I have used nitrile surgical type glove on occasions when I wasn't somewhere that I could wash my hands before and after. I don't use forks and I don't think I would like using gloves that were thick enough to prevent me from feeling where the fat is.
Mike Price
TurboDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
is One Chatty Farker

I usually start by dimming the lights, maybe lighting some incense, and putting on some slow music...
Hillside BBQ

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #36
Babbling Farker

I use two large forks. I think they are salad serving forks or something. They are like 3 times the size of a regular fork. They work great.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #37
Babbling Farker

I use my hands unless it's one of those North Carolina racing pigs. Then it's the chain and my old Jimmy pick up.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
Babbling Farker

Bear Claws are the best to start with.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Best way to pull your pork is with your hands! Lmao
I use my hands, either with Steve's gloves or food handling gloves. I have seen the mixer method, and a company sells something similar to what Hunt in made. I like to use my hands so I can get most of the nasty fat out.
weihl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #40
is One Chatty Farker

By hand, thin pair of food handling gloved only. I like to get the larger chunks of fat out by hand rather than shredding it all up together using bear claws.
Meadowcreek SQ36 with 2nd grate, 1991 Weber Performer w/ SS table, UDS, gasser.-Glenn-
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #41
Knows what a fatty is.

Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
The Ro–Man Pork Puller would be good to look into for pulling large amounts of pork butts. I also like the Meatrake!

~Jay Prince

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I had a welder at work make me one, and it is INCREDIBLE !

I frequently cook 20+ butts at a time and this thing saves so much trouble and time!
It seemed like a gimmick at first, but when I tried it....wow
Lang 84" , Bradley Digital 4 Rack , Weber Performer <-- That's Cookin' in STYLE BABY
MICHIGAN SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote