The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Angry 17th Q: "Kind of" Beef Ribs gone wrong (w/ pr0n)

Looks like nobody (and especially the butchers) here in Austria actually knows what beef ribs are supposed to look like, so why not offer something cut the WRONG direction with all the gunk up to the abdominal membrane still attached!

You can clearly see the ribs layer, the fat layers, the belly beef and the abdominal membrane, so why not cook it as is without any trimming!

This time, a little more careful with the rub (again just un-iodized sea salt + black & white pepper + garlic granulate).

A scheduled 4 hours cook, so no full charcoal ring. There was only one fist-sized piece of Mesquite buried in the center.

Beef ribs on upper cooking grate ready to go.

Overview of my cooking area.

Beef ribs after 3 hours.

Beef ribs ready after 4 hours.

Closeup views of all pieces on plates.

It all looked and smelled so good, but it was barely edible. All the fat had to be removed, as well as the abdominal membrane. There was only one piece with a nice and tender belly beef layer. The very sparse meat between the ribs was fantastic. Have a look at the one delicious piece of belly meat with the best smoke ring I have produce till now.

As mentioned before, there was only one piece of Mesquite buried in the center of the charcoal ring, and not even six pieces of apple wood can produce such a nice result.

Overall it was a huge disappointment, and considering the price (the costs per pound are higher than for brisket) is was a huge waste of money, so we'll definitely not try this again.

Next will be a small brisket, scheduled for Sunday (was intended for Tuesday, but it just makes more sense when the weather is playing along).

Unread 09-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

That last piece is killer. Pity the butchers haven't got a clue!

Unread 09-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

At least you can get beePh ribs over there...
We need to move down to Portugal brother...meat heaven for us!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
lvn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wow i actually laughed out loud when I saw the first couple of pics
lvn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

Those are called "short ribs" and that's the way they're cut.I think they are better suited for braising.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
Those are called "short ribs" and that's the way they're cut.I think they are better suited for braising.
^^^+1^^^

They are also good if cut much thinner "Korean Style", marinated in a terryaki type sauce and grilled a minute or 2 a side.

But those are definately not suited for smoking for sure!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Chalk it up to the whole learning experience....sucks I know but it's all part of the ride.....

Unread 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
HickoryJ
Knows what a fatty is.

A+ on the ring!

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for your comments, indeed it should have been braised, as we did with the beef tail.

It just looked so interesting when I was shopping, I thought "beef ribs" and didn't care for the rest. Lesson learned, no more crazy experiments (at least not this week), my next try on brisket is already approaching. Is it Sunday yet?

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, I've never seen beef shorties cut that short! They CAN be very tender and delicious (one of my favorites) when you smoke/braise/smoke. PLEASE don't give up on shorties, when you nail them, they are very well worth the effort! Here's proof! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=142045

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Wow, I've never seen beef shorties cut that short! They CAN be very tender and delicious (one of my favorites) when you smoke/braise/smoke. PLEASE don't give up on shorties, when you nail them, they are very well worth the effort! Here's proof! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=142045
Wow, that's what I call a RESULT. But your short ribs were clearly just the ribs layer without the other stuff on top of it, as in my case. Just the beef ribs are simply not available here, and the shown "kind of" beef ribs are too expensive for another try, I can get brisket for less and have more from it. Yours and the way you cooked them look just delicious, thanks for sharing how it could have been.

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
cayenne
On the road to being a farker

Yep...first as I saw the images, I was thinking...."short ribs". Pretty good for long, slow braising.

Here's a pretty good primer I found on beef ribs:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...beef_ribs.html

I've seen beef short ribs cut this way (cross section) and also lengthwise, like a riblet.....one bone with meat around it...I think on that website was more of what it calls the "English" cut.

I've done beef spare ribs and I think maybe even some back ribs before. They're interesting, fun on occasion (like when you find them dirt cheap)...but all in all, I stick mostly with pork ribs when I'm running them through the smoker.

My $0.02,

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can also try to make kalbi kui out of it,very easy to make and very tasty!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
^^^+1^^^

They are also good if cut much thinner "Korean Style", marinated in a terryaki type sauce and grilled a minute or 2 a side.

But those are definately not suited for smoking for sure!!!
CarolinaQue nailed it!!!
Korean style ribs are awesome, not much meat on them, but the taste is unbelievable!!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
You can also try to make kalbi kui out of it,very easy to make and very tasty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
CarolinaQue nailed it!!!
Korean style ribs are awesome, not much meat on them, but the taste is unbelievable!!!
Pr0n?