The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Oh it's going to suck some fuel, but there's no reason it won't work. As long as it seals up decent it should be some fun.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

That's shaping up to be a nice smoker, I'd feed that thing wood!

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Cool project, show us some pics after you cook on it and let us know how it works. Dont think I ever seen a RF drum.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
dupemaster
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the comments guys!

The hope behind the reverse flow is that the plate will help keep the temps even. I will be doing a burn this weekend finished or not just to see if that's true. I know it's gonna be a fuel hog with the thin walls, but it should be air tight when I'm finished so airflow shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My neighbor suggested getting a water heater blanket to help out with heat loss. Will that be enough? I don't know.

All I know is that I'm excited to give it a try! There will be plenty of pics of finished product.
dupemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Nice job
If you had built a UDS, you would already be finished and enjoying a fattie and moinks along with a cold brew.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
BIG ALAN
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice fabrication. I'm anxious to see what your pit temps are.
BIG ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Daggs
Full Fledged Farker

That's one hell of an exhaust. Off of one smoker onto another eh
Looks good!
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
onthewildedge

Awesome looking smoker. Can't wait to see it in action. Love the chain hinges (and the name).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Unread 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
dupemaster

Well, I dropped by the local harbor freight for some more parts today.

Picked up some wheels and casters, a 2" ball valve for an air intake on the firebox and a 3/4" ball valve for a grease clean-out.

A side note, and something I didn't know before hand, is that the 2" ball valve is threaded exactly the same as the 2" hole in the drum!

Tomorrow I'll pick up a piece of tubing for an axle, some 2" threaded pipe and my grill material.

Unread 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
dupemaster

Well, I took three steps forward and two steps back today! Started off with a trip to the hardware store to pick up the last couple things I need. Next, welder trouble. I spent an hour screwing around with it. It wasn't feeding wire after I changed the spool. Turns out that a piece of wire broke of inside of the torch and was holding things up!

Once I got that figured out I finished up welding on the lid. I moved on to trying the straighten the warped metal on the bottom side of the door opening. This was rediculously frustrating and I never got it all the way straight, but its close enough to seal with a little furnace tape.

Furnace tape.... I'm not sure if the tube of cement I bought was bad, but it sure didn't seem like its working. I put a bead down ( I've never had to squeeze so hard just to get a little tiny bit out of a tube in my life!), lightly dampened the rope, laid it down and closes the door.

It seemed to harden up nicely, but hardly stuck to the rope. I guess I'll check it the the morning to see if its gotten any better.

Next I decided to do something easy. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the end of the cook chamber and welded on some 1/2 inch threaded pipe to add my grease drain.

That was the only easy part of the day.

Next I started on the firebox door. I built a square frame out of 1/8x1 1/4 flat stock. Tacked it together, checked for square, then stuck it for good. Next I took the sheet I cut out, centered it up and tacked it in. Just 4 little 1/4 inch beads at the corners. I proceed to tac around, working on one side then moving to the other and so on. By the time I had a dozen tacs it was warped nearly an inch from flat. This is where it gets "fun".

I'll save the details, but I spent about 2 hours getting it straight and decided its time to add the hinge and put it on. Next I figured I'd weld it up tight, but I'll go slower as to not warp the door again....

Well, that didn't happen. It warped again. This time so badly that the lower corner stands two inches off of the side of the fire box when it's closed. Out comes the hammer! I beat on it for a while and got it pretty close, but it's going to need a little more love. That wil have to wait till tomorrow! I spent 8 hours on this thing today. Doing all you see in the pictures.

Maybe I'll actually get to light it up next weekend.

Wow that took a long time to post with my iPhone!

Last edited by dupemaster; 09-30-2012 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Edit

Unread 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

You are having too much fun! Lucky you, and good job, bro!
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
dupemaster

Got fed up trying to straighten the firebox door.

I cut it off and put a piece of 1/8" plate in its place. It lays flush as is, but I'll add a bead or silicone sealant to make it air tight.

The stove tape came off immediately. The cement stuck really well to the steel, but it only took a light pull the take the rope off. Back to the drawing board on that one. Maybe I'll use silicone sealant as glue.

Unread 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Coming along nicely!

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job. I use a moving blanket over cook chamber on my offset its folded like 3 layers. Works great. Even add tarp when it rains.

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yea,welcome to the addiction:D