The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Santa Maria style
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #32
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

I love the pictures and the talent of this BBQ build. I have built a few and used hundreds of different pits over the years----and sometimes see small problems. It is dificult to build a pit that can be used for grilling, smoking, and electric smoking--but I think it can be done.

The first problem I see has been mentioned by someone else. To achieve proper grilling temperature either the grilling surface must move up or down or the firebox must move up or down. If neither move then a waiting time is required to start grilling until the coals are "just right" and then the coals only stay "just right" for a short time. If the grill surface is close to the bottom of the firebox then stick firewood can not be used--only small amounts of charcoal.

If grilling is the only type of cooking done on a pit such as a "Santa Maria" style pit then grease drippings simply drip on the fire and burn up.--However if the pit is closed down and used as a smoker then grease will drip on the coals and make smoke that is not desireable in smoking. If the coals are placed far to one side --and the meat far to the other side--then grease will drip and accumulate on the bottom of the firebox--and possibly cause a very undesirable grease fire.

An electric burner with a chip tray can work good for smoking--but only IF that is the only way the pit is ever used. Otherwise ashes from charcoal or wood will cover the electric element--or grease accumulates around the element. Anything used for smoking should have a method for grease to drain off.

Also when building a pit it is important to remember that you will be the person cleaning it--make adjustments for ease of cleaning.

BBQ folks have been trying to reinvent the "perfect" pit for years---but each seems to have it's own strengths and weakness's Please do not make the mistake of trying to make a pit so versatile that it's problems outweigh it's strengths.

I hope this pit does everything that you want it to do because it looks beautiful.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
amg1444
Knows what a fatty is.

Haven't been able to post any updates lately, been travelling for work. Here are some updated pix. The grate is made of SS rod. The mechanism to raise and lower it has been installed. The wheel has been put into place. It really sets if off. The counter balance for the lid was also added. It was just a little too heavy. The chip tray was added, along with a tray that can be lowered. Only thing left is to put some paint on her. Can't wait to burn some stix on her, hopefully next weekend.

Attachment 72452

Attachment 72453

Attachment 72454

Attachment 72455

Attachment 72456

Last edited by amg1444; 12-16-2012 at 09:01 AM..
amg1444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #34
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker

That's coming together really nicely. Just a couple of questions... What are the dimensions? It looks kinda small. What is your paint plan?

Look forward to seeing her finally done.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #35
SmokerKing
is one Smokin' Farker

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
amg1444
Knows what a fatty is.

The overall length of it will be about 54" with the trays. The box will be 30"x20." Hopefully I don't regret the size of it. It will be painted black with a high temp paint.

Unread 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #37
amg1444
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My new somewhat Santa Maria style BBQ

She's all done! Turned out better then I ever could have expected. I'll post more picks when she's home. Just have to figure out how to do that now.

Last edited by amg1444; 12-16-2012 at 09:01 AM..