The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Backyard/pro question

If you have been cooking BY and want to try the pro division and don't do good can you go back to backyard?
Buckscent is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

Yes. There is nothing that prevents you from competing in the backyard divisions after doing sanctioned events.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

On the other hand, most teams are bad when they start. Stick with it for a while, even if you do poorly. We were bad when we started . We still aren't an elite team, but heading to the Royal, SAMs National, and The Jack this year. Who knows where it could take you?
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
gmholler
On the road to being a farker

If what you want to do is go back to "backyard" cooking after cooking "pro" for a while, I'd make sure before I tried to do so that the contest I'm looking at participating in doesn't have a problem with it - many contests frown on that sort of thing, and there's nothing preventing an organizer from making a rule about that for their contest. True, I've know plenty of contests that don't care one way or the other, but in going back to "backyard" after cooking "pro" you are likely to earn the disdain of many other cookers - many of whom have been where you are and wondered the same things you are. But I have to agree with Chris - stick with it & watch where it takes you!!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

Honestly I think cooking in the pro divisions are the best way to improve your product. BY doesn't always have CBJs so you may not be getting accurate feedback. At least you have a standard to strive for.

Unread 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Depending on the situation, it may be allowed, but I can tell you with confidence that even if you don't place all that well after you move up, that cooking the backyard division will probably not do it for you anymore.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82's BBQ View Post
Yes. There is nothing that prevents you from competing in the backyard divisions after doing sanctioned events.
Not true.

Some backyard events do not allow anyone to participate who has cooked Pro - the Shadetree division at The Jack is the most well-known example.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

Yea, I am for sure not ready for pro but there is a kcbs comp here close and was just wanting to try It just once for now. Who knows, like some have mentioned I might like it and stay. I just want to know I can go back to BY if I don't
Buckscent is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckscent View Post
Yea, I am for sure not ready for pro but there is a kcbs comp here close and was just wanting to try It just once for now. Who knows, like some have mentioned I might like it and stay. I just want to know I can go back to BY if I don't
Sure you can but if you go back to backyard and win just be prepared for some of the whiners complaining that your a pro team. They'll probably complain to the organizer too.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Common thread here.

A little reading from the recent past:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=backyard

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Common thread here.

A little reading from the recent past:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=backyard

TIM
Ya, Bill has the organizers and cookers complaining to him, and he didn't even cook the event. Thats the kind of stuff that can happen.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
go for it. if you like it and time , money and family or friends are there that is all it is about . it is just bbq . alot of people can't dedicate 2 days for a contest every weekend or 500.00 -700.00 every contest. cook any contest that you fill comfortable cooking . with rules that are in play. good luck
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
I'm not far from you at all. Let me know if you have any questions. We are by no means a top tier team, but we hold our own and have learned a ton of stuff.

Unread 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

We are in the same boat. And alas most backyard comps around here will not let you in even if you have only been in one Pro event.

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I'd rather the organizers charge 75% of the Pro entry fee, make 3 meats mandatory and had a maximum purse of $1,000 for Backyard contests.

It's almost comical to go to a contest and see a "Backyard" team with a 32' MBN type trailer with two huge cabinet smokers, 12' stainless steel counterop/bar, 37 monogramed folding chairs, bar stools, TV and Fridge or a "Backyard" team roll in with a 35' Toy hauler.

What are they there for?? Their minimum expense for the weekend is twice the maximum payout they can attain. Plus, it's not their first contest. No, it's not about the money as much as it's not their first few contests. You don't buy all that stuff before you've got your feet wet a few times.

My question is this- If you cook more than 2 backyard contests.... Why?
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote