The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Default BOD meeting

Any word from last night's meeting regarding Myrtle Beach?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I see the quick notes posted today but oddly enough there's not a single mention of executive session or discussion of the topic......
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like the quick notes were truncated during posting. Lots of topics missing.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

Was Myrtle Beach supposed to be on the agenda?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Looks like the quick notes were truncated during posting. Lots of topics missing.
That happens pretty often. Then when they figure it out they usually put up a second page.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

The Quick Notes have been updated.

"When returning to Open Session, the following decisions were announced.
Carolyn Wells will write a letter to the organizer of the contest in Myrtle Beach citing concerns by the cooks and directing the organizer to attend other contests before their 2013 event.
Regarding Candy Weaver's presentation regarding a potential website helpful to KCBS, she and Carolyn Wells will gather additional information and report back to the board.
Candy Weaver made a motion to accept Carolyn Wells' Employment Agreement. Seconded by Mike Budai, the motion passed.
At 9:00 p.m. Randy Bigler made a motion to adjourn; seconded by Steve Farrin, the motion passed."

I'm sure that letter will fix everything. And congrats to Carolyn on a new agreement. Didn't she just get a new deal last year?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

There are several taka-a-ways from these notes:
1.George Mullins resignation, which was on the new business agenda, was not discussed or accepted. Does this mean he is still on the BOD?
2. There is a double standard for conduct of reps if they are members of the BOD. The integrity of the BOD now comes into question.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Having not listened to meeting, I was sad to see no mention of Rep conduct for MB included in quick notes and a removal of the petition regarding the apron. Was hoping both would come out.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Gadragonfly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
2. There is a double standard for conduct of reps if they are members of the BOD. The integrity of the BOD now comes into question.
I don't agree. There weren't any rep problems at this contest that don't happen at other contests occasionally (and I was at this contest so I can have an opinion). Boxes get misnumbered, labels stick to the bottom of other boxes or shirts and for a minute it appears a box is lost, I was even at a contest this year where an entire tray was dropped by a Table Captain. That incident didn't even make a splash on this forum. The reps at this contest made a mistake but they admitted that they made a mistake and worked with the teams involved to correct it. Earlier in the year the reps made a mistake and didn't admit it and everyone screamed cover-up. You can't have it both ways - decide which way you want it and let the reps know. I'm sure they'll either tell you about mistakes or keep them a secret, whichever the majority wants. But Tana being on the Board was coincidental to the way this incident was handled by the Board.

Julie
Gadragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

of course we all knew that Tana was above reproach. They were NEVER going to say anything to her about it. Is it any surprise that people worry about conflict of interest when reps are also board members.

She screwed up, she shouldnt be allowed to rep any contest for the rest of the year....yes even that one.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadragonfly View Post
I don't agree. There weren't any rep problems at this contest that don't happen at other contests occasionally (and I was at this contest so I can have an opinion). Boxes get misnumbered, labels stick to the bottom of other boxes or shirts and for a minute it appears a box is lost, I was even at a contest this year where an entire tray was dropped by a Table Captain. That incident didn't even make a splash on this forum. The reps at this contest made a mistake but they admitted that they made a mistake and worked with the teams involved to correct it. Earlier in the year the reps made a mistake and didn't admit it and everyone screamed cover-up. You can't have it both ways - decide which way you want it and let the reps know. I'm sure they'll either tell you about mistakes or keep them a secret, whichever the majority wants. But Tana being on the Board was coincidental to the way this incident was handled by the Board.

Julie
In the more than 150 contests that I have participated in over the last 10 years, I have never seen any issues with box numbering, lost boxes or reps being abscent at the start of a turn-in time. Either I have been very lucky or the reps at the contests that I attended were properly trained and did their job properly. These types of problems should be an exception and never tolerated by the cooks or the reps.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Myrtle Beach should NEVER..EVER be sanctioned again as long as the Omar Shriners are involved.....Period.
Pickin' Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
The Quick Notes have been updated.

And congrats to Carolyn on a new agreement. Didn't she just get a new deal last year?
This is the deal from last year it was just finalized. I's dotted t's crossed if you will.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
1.George Mullins resignation, which was on the new business agenda, was not discussed or accepted. Does this mean he is still on the BOD?
Good point on number 1 I think it got overlooked.
I don't agree with number 2. I spoke to all the teams that were directly effected by the reps mistakes (and yes there were mistakes) in Myrtle beach and not one of them suggested the reps should be fired/suspended/retrained. They seemed to understand that reps are people and people sometimes make mistakes. If the board fires a rep every time a mistake is made then we won't have any reps. Tana was questioned extensively and admitted that mistakes were made. I'm satisfied that they were corrected in an appropriate manner and within the spirit of the rules. No numbers were made up or concocted and every entry was appropriately judged.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote