The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
ulikadawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default fried turkey question

a guy at work wants me to fry him a turkey. This is no problem since I will be doing some anyway. If he is going to eat it the next day what is the best thing to do? Should I wrap in foil and put it in a cooler? Let it cool and put it in the fridge? Any thoughts?
ulikadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Don't really know the best way.

But, just a couple of days ago we had this on cooling large birds:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...ghlight=turkey

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Since you are most likely not going to hold it at 140 degrees or above from the time it comes out of the fryer until it is served, you really don't have much choice but to cool it, then chill it.

The real question is how do you reheat to preserve the unique quality of a fried turkey? I may have said thiis before, but in my opinion, most of what makes a fried bird special is lost when you have to store it to serve later-the xtra crisp skin, and the juiceness. I would reheat it in a 300 degree oven just till it reached serving temp. This should re-crisp the skin without drying out the meat(too much)

Unread 11-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Having fried a few, i do not think day-old, re-heated fried turkey is what you want to serve on Thanksgiving. It's not too good.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

agreed... reaheating a fried bird is gonna be yuk... no good for t-day.. The meat got dry and leathery and I only brought the temps back up to 130+

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

I tend to agree with the others about the taste of a fried turkey the same day. No method of reheating will recapture that.

However, if I had to save it for the next day, I would put it in a half pan and cover with foil before I stuck it in the fridge. The next day I would make up some chicken broth to put in the bottom of the pan and bring it back up to temp low and slow in the oven. Make sure the foil stays on tight and you shouldn't dry it out too bad.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote