The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Qbert60
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rib cutting questions

Hello All!

I have some questions about cutting ribs for presentation. I use spare-ribs from Sams normally. I cut them "St. Louis" style like normal. Problem is that when cooked, and i go to cut them, i always seem to be cutting at an angle. I hope this makes sense. Looking for any help.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I totally hear you. We always look for the straightest bones possible. Unfortunately, we can only see one bone-side rack in the tri-cryos that Sams sells out here. It was often the same for us on the Mainland.

We'd buy 6 racks (2 tri-cryos) from Sams for a comp and hope for the best on the unseen racks. You can kind of see (OK, feel) the top rack on the Sam's tri-cryos. It's definitely a crapshoot sometimes.

The good news is that those curved-bone racks allow for good practice.

Best of luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

Don't get me started on Sam's ribs again We are lucky to get one rack out of three even worth cooking. Yes, we have a bad problem finding straight ribs also.
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

It's easier to see where to cut if you cut from the back side.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^ I'm with Pappy ^^^^^
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team
New Palestine IN
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with that but then you mess up that perfect looking glaze on the front side... I've found that its easier for me to cut baby backs straight. Granted the are curved in the other direction but lengthwise they are straight

Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used to think flipping them over would mess my glaze up, but the first time I tried it didn't mess anything up. At worst when I flip then over and there is a little noticeable smudge I just touch it up. Has not affected my appearance score at all. And nowi never have to worry if bones are crooked as upside down you can see exactly where to cut.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Untraceable
is Blowin Smoke!

I started cutting from the backside. I was always worried about ruining the sauce glaze but as long as my sauce is warm and I have a brush, I havent had a problem touching them up and my cuts have become much better. Some loinbacks are just flat out nightmares if the chine bone is still in
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Untraceable
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
I used to think flipping them over would mess my glaze up, but the first time I tried it didn't mess anything up. At worst when I flip then over and there is a little noticeable smudge I just touch it up. Has not affected my appearance score at all. And nowi never have to worry if bones are crooked as upside down you can see exactly where to cut.
wow, I typed almost the exact thing at the same time. lol
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Qbert60
Full Fledged Farker

I can totally appreciate flipping them over and cutting them from the back, but when you put them back together in the box, the cuts are still off center. Instead of them being straight up and down, they tend to have an an angle to them. Without pictures, it's hard to explain.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post
I can totally appreciate flipping them over and cutting them from the back, but when you put them back together in the box, the cuts are still off center. Instead of them being straight up and down, they tend to have an an angle to them. Without pictures, it's hard to explain.
Yes of course this is the case, but it doesn't appear the judges mind as long as the cuts aren't jagged or if a cut ran into a bone and you still put that rib in the box. I know exactly what you are talking about. Would I love straight bones....heck yes . Did I used to worry when they all weren't straight.....yup. Once I finally stopped worrying and cut them upside down parallel in between each set of bone did my scores drop.....no. If anything they have been doing better. Though that may do with a flavor change too .
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

These (just like all of mine) are cut from the back. Just spray a little apple juice on the board so they dont stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ Jam R.jpg (45.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg ribs p.jpg (45.9 KB, 196 views)

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Wampus

+1 on cutting from the back where it's easier to see (and FEEL) the bones. Yes, you'll end up still cutting at an angle, but I think they box up well. We did this last weekend. Ended up taking 3rd. The 12 ribs were taken out of only 2 racks to match correctly (6 on 6 ). The "meat" part still ends up looking angled, but we've boxed like this the last 3-4 comps and have gotten great appearance scores.

Even when we can't get 6 on 6, we still have to cut "at an angle".

I'd like to show you a pic, but I'm on a remote air card where I am today and am having a very slow connection speed and can't seem to upload the pics.

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

I had same problem last comp. Went for best looking ribs not the most tender ribs. Cost me a great deal.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
+1 on cutting from the back where it's easier to see (and FEEL) the bones. Yes, you'll end up still cutting at an angle, but I think they box up well. We did this last weekend. Ended up taking 3rd. The 12 ribs were taken out of only 2 racks to match correctly (6 on 6 ). The "meat" part still ends up looking angled, but we've boxed like this the last 3-4 comps and have gotten great appearance scores.

Even when we can't get 6 on 6, we still have to cut "at an angle".

I'd like to show you a pic, but I'm on a remote air card where I am today and am having a very slow connection speed and can't seem to upload the pics.

Thanks from: --->