The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brethren in Austin, I need your input

My SIL just moved to Austin, from here in SoCal about 6 weeks ago, my wife is flying to Austin to visit next week. My wife agreed to hit the local HEB and pick me up some goodies. So my question to my Austin brethren and sisteren, what are some sauces and rubs that you would recommend that are unique/local to Texas?
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
My SIL just moved to Austin, from here in SoCal about 6 weeks ago, my wife is flying to Austin to visit next week. My wife agreed to hit the local HEB and pick me up some goodies. So my question to my Austin brethren and sisteren, what are some sauces and rubs that you would recommend that are unique/local to Texas?
Salt Lick sauce (original only, not the spicy) and rub are really good and very unique. Highly recommend both. They actually have a restaurant at the airport that she can but the sauce and rub is she is feeling lazy.

Outside of that, most of the original stuff is restaurant centric and not available for sale at the stores.

Stubbs is based here but you can probably find all that stuff out there in Cali. The food at the restaurant is not good at all but the sauce/rubs guys are not afiiliated and just license out the name and sell the sauces/rubs/marinades out of a place on W 6th st.

At HEB, the Fiesta brand seasonings are all pretty good. They have everyting from brisket rub to chickenrub and everything in between. I use Salt Lick or Dizzy pig on most stuff but Fiesta stuff is good.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Get Fiesta jalapano salt. Amazing.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I agree on the Fiesta brand seasonings. They make a salt free brisket rub that is quite good if you're into the low sodium thing. All of their spices are good, but the rubs in general tend to be on the high sodium side. Uncle Chris's Gourmet Seasoning is wonderful on all things beef, but it's got a lot of salt and MSG. They have a huge selection of salt free, MSG free products, but most of them aren't available in the grocery stores.

http://www.fiestaspices.com/index.as...=product_index

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

According to the owner, The Salt Lick's rub is just equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. I bought a bottle, and made a batch, and they taste the same, to me.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
According to the owner, The Salt Lick's rub is just equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. I bought a bottle, and made a batch, and they taste the same, to me.

CD
The cayenne is "equal" as in... a half of a third part?
The Cayenne seems a bit high... unless its a larger grained Cayenne than I am used to.

Certified KCBS Judge

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 10-07-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Anything Sucklebusters.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
The cayenne is "equal" as in... a half of a third part?
The Cayenne seems a bit high... unless its a larger grained Cayenne than I am used to.
That sounds right. It's really spicy and it's loaded with black pepper too. when paired with the sauce though, its awesome. It's my go-to on ribs and chicken. I have to go light on the rub for my kids though
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
RW
Full Fledged Farker

She won't find it at the H-E-B, but if your wife comes across Chupacabra Rub, she should snag a bottle. It's made by 2 Gringo's in the San Antonio area.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
jmoney7269
Banned

Harley's is some good stuff. The fiesta hamburger deluxe is off the chain on brisket as a 1st rub. Contains butter and beef powder. Most meat market between Elgin and Brenham carry REO fancy BBQ rub. It is made with hickory salt and is off the chain on chicken and ribs
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

I like fiesta fajita seasoning, pinto bean seasoning and Carne guisada seasoning. Acadamy Sports and Outdoors has a good selection in addition to HEB. I use the fajita seasoning on baby backs.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

There's a place on 6th called Tears of joy, it has a bunch of sauces from around the texas area and more. It has bbq sauce, and hot sauces, she should be able to find you something cool there. http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Have her make a trip to JMueller's and bring you a doggy bag.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
htrisna
Take a breath!

Man if this is true, you just made my day!

I love Salt Lick rub but it's high on sodium. So this way I can reduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Cyclops: Chargriller Outlaw
Charbroil The Big Easy Oilless Turkey Fryer

Anova Sous Vide Stick
Carson Rodizio Kit
htrisna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
RL Reeves Jr
Knows what a fatty is.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Savory Spice Shop on w.6th. Those gals have the best, most diverse array of spices and seasonings in Austin. http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/...reet-In-Austin
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote