oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Johnny Trigg says...

Johnny trigg says he has never injected a peice of meat and never will. I will almost guarantee that he cooks wagyu briskets, but I looked at a recent comp he just did and he won by alot of points compared to the rest of the field. I have tried many different types of injections, but I do use kosmos occasionally for comps, but have just kinda gotten away from all that since I have been honing my comp techniques. What do you comp guys thInk about this injection trend?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I think people should do what works for them. Different smokers, different temps, wrapping or not all work together and it's what works for you.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I couldnt say that for sure either way, but Trigg seems like the one to cook the best brisket he can find, regardless of grade. And best brisket for him probably has more to do with feel and touch than grading and marbling.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

He doesn't inject and he doesn't use wagyu. He relies on good cooking.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Johnny cooks snake river farms did you ever think that it might not be the injection but what is done after it's cooked?

most contest are won and lost in the last few moments before you close the lid...
Backwoods Chubby
http://sexyslabs.com

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
He doesn't inject and he doesn't use wagyu. He relies on good cooking.
Your half right..he doesn't inject..we actually had a talk about brisket this weekend at 4 am.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Not sure where some folks are getting their info... Not that i want to roll over on johnny on how he cooks. But all the info that has been stated is not correct. You figure out which one isn't' correct though...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

I have Cooked the SRF briskets, I prefer the Strube

Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I heard he injects his brisket with LOVE.

For us, we've cooked SRF waygu, CAB, Creekstone Prime, Strube waygu and we didn't finish the best with either one of the waygus.
We've even cooked a Choice CAB at the same time as a Prime on the same cooker and with the same exact injection, rub and timeline and ended up turning in the CAB because it was better.

Me things that sometimes it's more about the cook (not the Cook him/herself, but how the actual cook goes) than the meat. Maybe not.

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

We were at a comp two years ago and we had a brisket problem. The problem was we did not have one due to some shipping issues. Actually had to stop at Sam's on the way Friday and pick up two. They guy next to us had a SRF and was carrying on and on about how you were wasting time cooking anything but a SRF and anything else was trash. Had to hear about his "perfect" injection also. Wonder how he felt when we did twice as well as him with our crappy Sam's brisket.
I guess the point is that sometimes it can be the meat, sometimes the cook and sometimes the process of cooking. Injection will not produce a better product if the meat is not that good or if the process is off or if the cook gets half drunk and forgets to check the temp
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Not sure what Johnny does, but I did conduct an experiment at our last comp. We had cooked a choice and a SRF brisket and had left overs. When the judges has finished judging for the day, a number of them were wandering around visiting after the event was over. I asked several of them to try the briskets that were in a pan to see what they thought of each one. I did not tell them what they were or that I had prepped them the same. Out of the several judges who stopped by several liked the SRF, and several liked the Choice brisket. I would say with proper prep, and what the cook does to the meat has a lot to do with how it comes out. Certainly adding the best possible quality to the mix helps but its also about knowing how to cook each kind of meat quality too that matters in my humble opinion.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

This is an interesting article on Wagyu.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...nd-wagyu-beef/

Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
Your half right..he doesn't inject..we actually had a talk about brisket this weekend at 4 am.
Then this is something that has changed recently. This year at most. Traditionally he has been very successful at using non-wagyu. Maybe BP has converted him.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
This is an interesting article on Wagyu.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...nd-wagyu-beef/

I read that article also. I do believe it to some extent.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Not sure where some folks are getting their info... Not that i want to roll over on johnny on how he cooks. But all the info that has been stated is not correct. You figure out which one isn't' correct though...
I do remember the finals of the Pitmasters show that was filmed in CA. They cooked whole hog and he mentioned he injected his hog. Just saying the words NEVER is not quite true.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote