The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-13-2005, 11:24 PM   #16
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

MilitantSquatter,

Sorry, almost forgot. Here is a checklist for you. Modify it to you hearts content. When the Meat Inspector comes around he will check to see your meat has not been pre-prepared and is properly being stored in an ice filled cooler. He will check to see you have a fire extinguisher, three tubs for cleaning, sanitizing and rinse, two cutting boards and that your prep area is under shade.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BBQ Team Check List.zip (6.4 KB, 24 views)

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #17
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Grill Kings is a Saturday Night Cook with Sunday turn-in. There is also a Saturday Grilling Event which is optional.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #18
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Help us out here--
Was the event "cook sat night" or "cook Fri night"?

TIM
Saturday turn in.

I assume that for a Sunday turnin, most arrive on Saturday (cook Sat night)

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
MilitantSquatter

Thanks Sawdustguy....Your feedback too is much appreciated. I saved your checklist too in addition to the another that was posted here. Yours appears to be even more detailed.

I agree, our first few times out will soley be to get the hang of things, meet good people and not place last !!!

Thanks to all who contributed to answering my question....

Unread 01-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Default competition info

1) Is there a standard site size for most contests ?

as stated by others...20x20 seems to be the norm, but it should say it in the cook's packet for each event.

2) What source of lights are some of the teams using?

we always bring extensions now; at our first Podunk, we were told there would be NO electricity, and then there was. We made do with Coleman lanterns and flashlights, but if you are stocked for "roughing it"-type camping, you are all set no matter where you go...

3) Water - what's the general availability of water to clean and prep with at most contests?

i believe that water HAS to be available, the question would be how far away is it? To be safe, bring a water container, but hose(s) and y-connectors help too if the contest is running it out to the teams.

4) Do most teams show up on Friday night just for the comraderie and more time to get settled rather than very early on Sat ?

It is always best, IMO, to get there as soon as you can. More time to get your crap together and more time to schmooze with other bbq fanatics. Enjoy every minute, that's my motto, and it has also been my downfall. The cameraderie is a HUGE part of this.
Don't get me wrong, walking the walk is fantastic, but quite a few of the friends we have made are like family now, and I am so thankful. Who else but family can you call on at 4 a.m. when you run out of beer? I would think that you already get it, though, since you are a member of the "brethren".

P.S. - We definitely do plan to go see a contest in action prior to out first contest to see whats going on. Watching on the Food Network and reading online is great but we agree we need to see the real deal in person.

NEBS does have it's kick-off the season one-day Saturday Snowshoe Grilling Challenge coming up on March 18th, in Abington, MA. Check out the NEBS website for more information as it becomes available. Or you can ask me, my "boy wonder" -heheh- Gary Taft, is the organizer. Another GREAT event is the Pork In The Park in Salisbury, MD., the weekend of April 20th-ish. Great event to observe, and we will be sure to offer ya up a beverage if you come by.

thanks fer listening...michelle
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Vinny, you've made me recall all the questions I had last year. Thanks! It really is a blast and you'll be addicted very soon! I think I worried too much about the logistics of getting ready and too little about just cooking and taking in the experience of my first contest.

Most of your questions have gotten good answers but I'll chime in a couple of things about set-up since I don't know much about the New England contests. First off, I got a 10x20 canopy and never will regret it, even if it is a lot of work to set it up! My third contest was a spur of the moment deal in a brand new contest so to avoid the set up time, I went out and bought a knock off brand of Easy Up 10x10 at Wal Mart. First off it broke in two places just in the set up. Secondly, I was crowded as hell in only 10x10! Did not have the work space I had become accustomed to in my previous two contests. Unless I have to for some weird reason, I'll always have a 10x20 from now on!

Second, on the lighting, I have several options... for decoration and just "fun lighting" under my canopy, I have three 20 foot rope lights, red, white and blue in color with one each running the length of the canopy along the under side edges and one at the peak of the ceiling. I atach them every so often with cable ties (I think that's what you call them). I also have one of those cheapie paper lantern balls I hang from the center. For work lights, I use a headlamp on my hat for checking the smokers at night, one of those aluminum utility lights for general area and wash area lighting and a flourescent shop light style light over my prep table.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #22
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

As this thread shows, there is no general answers to these questions. Every region seems to have different norms, and even every cookoff. If they had a cookoff in Tennessee with no power and water in the bathroom, nobody would go. On the other hand, folks in the NE don't seem to like the Saturday turn ins that require a day or two off work. 10X10 would be a joke in Florida, where almost everybody now has a trailer of some sort. The standard sites in Sebring were 20x40.
So the answer is read all the paperwork and don't hesitate to call the organizer with specific questions.

Couple things, get there as early as you can and is allowed. It will make your life much less stressful and leave more time for fun. Also, most organizers will work with you if you need a little (or a lot) extra space. They may charge you a few bucks but if you need it..........
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #23
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Thanks.. I'll try and dig back for the old posts. I'm still on dial-up service and my computer is kind of slow so I admittedly took the lazy route on this one......

I did save one of the checklists that was given a few months back. It had the criteria you mentioned...

Hmm... I was under the impression that most contests were Sat. check-ins, meat inspection etc and turn in's on Sunday. I was on vacation when NY Grill Kings took place this year so I missed it, but I am about 90% sure that it was a Sat/Sunday event as I hoping to get home fast enough to stop in to check it out.
dial up holy crap!!
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->