oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default THANK YOU 5-0 BBQ - The Value of First-hand Experience

A while back I had posted saying that I was willing to help out on a team at this past weekend's Smokin in the Bay in Deale, MD. 5-0 BBQ graciously offered me a chance to hang out with their team at the comp.

I accepted and explained that I was willing to do any thing to help, and included that I would disappear during the times that team proprietary actions were taking place.

Over the course of the comp, Steve Rogers, head cook, and the team made me feel like part of the team. They were very patient with my questions and constantly asked if there was anything I needed clarification on. They made sure I was in the proper place to observe all aspects of the cook. They made sure I attended the cook meeting to experience that. They involved me in the tasting of all meats to ask my opinion. I was taught the value of combining spices in my hand to taste the result and make informed decisions. I was introduced to other competitors and received valuable advice from them as well.

To make a long story short, they involved me in all aspects of the comp.

Here are some other observations:
  • Offer to help with everything from washing dishes to taking out the trash - every task is important during a comp.
  • Immerse yourself in the experience - I even slept on-site in my truck for three hours.
  • Ask questions, but pick the proper time to do it.
  • All comp teams are extremely helpful and nice. It is one big family.
  • Pay attention to building boxes - it isn't as easy as it looks.
  • Be open minded - I have over 20 years of home Q experience - this IS NOT home BBQ!

I would recommend that anyone wanting to get into comp, seek out a team that will allow you to have the experience I did. I would have gladly paid for the experience. It would be worth paying the team's entry fee for what I learned.

Finally, I want to thank Steve Rogers, his pretty wife Leah, awesome and equally lovely Aunt Kitty, other team members Steve and Darren, and all the others who made this a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
EMTTLC
On the road to being a farker

pretty cool!!!!!!!
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

5-0 are good people!
Master Purveyors, Grizzly Coolers,
West Coast Offense, 3 Eyz,
BBQ Guru, Butcher BBQ,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Steve has always been willing to help, offer advice or just BS BBQ with anyone. I saw the original post and where 5-O pm'ed you. Glad it all worked out. Hope you weathered the storm okay - that was a good learning experience too.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We had a great time and were happy you were there with us.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

that is very cool on both parts...