MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Team Name registry

In light of what Jeff had to put up with a few weeks back, does the KCBS have an official BBQ name registry? Would it be a good idea to have your BBQ team name trademarked or copyrighted (may to too expensive)? I doubt there will be another Two Fat Polocks team name but I can see where this may be a concearn for some teams that have names more easily copied. It may be a incentive for someone to become a KCBS member and keep their membership current if the KCBS offered such a service.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Quigley
Got Wood.

go to www.thebbqforum.com follow the links to team name list .For a small fee you can register your name. This in no way guarantees that no one else will use it. It just gives a listing of names that are out there already. I am not sure even trademarking would help. If you only compete and don't sell products it is hard to find damages.It really only comes into play for team of the year.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is no requirement to register your team name.

In the case of duplicates - first postmark "wins".

We had a minor flap a couple of years ago when a FL team "The Swamp Water Boys" got upset when another team used the name "Swamp Boys" - however, the "case" was dismissed since they weren't the same name - close, but no cigar!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

If you are a KCBS member, you have the opportunity to give them your team name. While it's not an official registration, many times the office will call another team to let them know that the name they used or want to use is already taken. It's as close to an official registration as there is. The listing on the BBQ Forum is a great idea, but it's more of a list so folks can see if the name they want is taken. However, that's all it is, a list.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Unfortunately the BBQ Forum list isn't really maintained, so there are names, with no contact info, that are registered but are never used.

In the beginning it was free and Ray grabbed names from contest lists, and they all remain. A name might have been used once 5 years ago yet it's seemingly still taken, or a guy planned to use it but never has.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I was thinking that with my KCBS registration (also listed in the Bullsheet), and a copywrited logo, that if I had to go to court, this would show a chain of ownership. But on the other hand, who would want to use my name?
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Quigley
Got Wood.

Since this has been brought up I shall post my situation. In 1995 I started a team called "Smoking (with the G) Guns." It has crossed rifles as logo. I competed with this name,won several contests, have banners, hats, aprons, flags shirts etc in that name. I noticed another team with out the G. They also started in 1995. I called KCBS and they said that since it is not identical we are fine. I am starting to compete again, I never gave up the name and since I live in Florida probably won't run across the other team. I even e-mailed them to see if it would be a problem and never received a reply, therefore I will take it as a no problem. Now what would you do? Would you change names? I do not cater, I do not sell rubs or sauce. I only compete.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Kevin

Quigley, I would probably be concerned, as you are, considering Smokin Guns is a well known name. Don't know what to offer as advice.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

On the other forum "Linda" is half of the Smokin' Guns team. You could give her a shout if you are concerned. You could also add something to your name like "Quigley's Smoking Guns" if you are worried about it. That way you can still use all of your logo'd items. Or, you could just use the name and be sure they spell it correctly.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Smokin' Guns is not only a competition team, they also run a restaurant in KC that I understand is GREAT (but the hours are such that I haven't been able to get there when they are open).

They have a great deal invested in the name - but your name and theirs is not the same - so make it more different - Quigley's Smoking Guns sounds like a winner to me!

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
Sawdustguy

I guess that there really is no other recourse than to trademark your name if you want to protect it properly. Sounds like alot of trouble and expensive to do. If I ever get in that situation I will just pick another Team Name. It sounds like that would lead to alot less agrevation.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote