עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
TOPPWV
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket trainning

What cut of meat would you guys recommend to practice brisket cooking on without breaking the bank on a actual brisket?
TOPPWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

a brisket.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never tried it, but I've heard shoulder clods are fairly close and quite a bit cheaper.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

only one way to practice brisket. cook brisket.

however, there may be a compression of the learning curve. search nightrain.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

When I was at Restaurant Depot a week or so ago the briskets were $1 per pound less than shoulder clod.

If you are testing our rubs or injections you can cut a brisket into pieces and use a different rub or injection on each piece, but for nailing timing and tenderness the only thing that will help is a brisket.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPPWV View Post
What cut of meat would you guys recommend to practice brisket cooking on without breaking the bank on a actual brisket?
Are you serious or just farking with us...
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Uploads: 1

Chicken?

What's cheaper per pound than brisket?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I just gotta ask.

If you can not afford a brisket or two for practice (even cheap ones from Wally World), do you have the $$ to enter and cook a competition??
Incredibly expensive "hobby" for most folks.

Just something to consider.

In addition--maybe you can find friends or family to pay part or all of the cost for practice meat.

Nothing can substitute for using the real thing for practice.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
TOPPWV
Found some matches.

Bad thing is were I live you cant run out to the store and buy a brisket. And when they do carry them it's only one month out of the year. On top of that they have them priced at $80 a pop. So thanks for the help any way.
TOPPWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Ron_L

How far is the nearest Restaurant Depot? it may be worth the drive to buy a case or two and stick them in the freezer.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can practice cooking any large beef cut to get timing and smoke control down. You can use a chuck clod if that is cheaper, it will give you experience with getting a large piece of meat to cook for a long time and to the proper feel of a probe.

But, as the others, and those are some good cooks up there, have stated, there is simply no way to understand how a brisket has cooked, and if the flavor and moisture are there, but, to cook actual brisket. And here is why...

The muscle fibers and connective tissues in a brisket are very strongly grained, and they are distinct from any other cut of meat. The texture of the meat, how the fats and proteins are tied together simply do not exist on any other part of any other animal. The chuck, loins and sirloin all have cuts that are often cheaper and can serve as analogs to other parts of meat, but, the brisket it unique.

The brisket has a funny shape, and this is a big deal, unlike a clod, sirloin or rib primal, the brisket is flattened on one end and rounded on the other, there is a large lump of connective tissue and fat between the flat and point, there is a large difference in intramuscular fat between point and flat meat. These must be cooked differently at the same time if you are doing a packer. A cold is actually quite uniform in shape once it is trimmed and/or tied. It cooks evenly and the transfer of heat through the meat is similarly uniform, it will just cook up easier.

The best advice I can give, is to reach out to restaurants or other WV cookers and see where they are getting briskets. There are guys here that cook briskets and I really doubt they are paying $80 a pop.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPPWV View Post
Bad thing is were I live you cant run out to the store and buy a brisket. And when they do carry them it's only one month out of the year. On top of that they have them priced at $80 a pop. So thanks for the help any way.
You have two Sam's Clubs within a 15 mile radius. Get to know the butcher and see if he can get you packers. I know they carry flats.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Kenn007BBQ
On the road to being a farker

See if you can just buy the flat... Sometimes I see them packaged by themselves for under 20 bucks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Unread 08-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Offer to cook briskets for others if they will buy the meat you will cook it for them. They get a good deal and you get good practice. keith