The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why cook so much meat?

Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to be a smart a$$. But...

If I only have to put six ribs in a box, or 6-8 slices of brisket, why would I cook two packers and four slabs?

If I cook a bunch of meat and maybe stagger the times I pull it off, doesn't it stand to reason that I am increasing my chance of lucking out somewhere along the line with decent Q? I know I still need to know the basics and still won't beat the pros via luck.

Wouldn't a true champion be able to cook one slab and either get it right or not?

OK, I have my kevlar on.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

every piece of meat is different, however marginal.

those small variances can mean the difference between GC and MOTP.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Meat is a tremendously variable product. From one steer to the next, from one hog to the next, you don't *really* know what you've got until it's on the cutting board.

A true champion will cook a particular piece of meat to its greatest potential, but that's not to say some other guy with a better brisket/slab/whatever couldn't luck out and do better that day -- that's why you sometimes see choice briskets beat wagyus.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to be a smart a$$. But...

If I only have to put six ribs in a box, or 6-8 slices of brisket, why would I cook two packers and four slabs?

If I cook a bunch of meat and maybe stagger the times I pull it off, doesn't it stand to reason that I am increasing my chance of lucking out somewhere along the line with decent Q? I know I still need to know the basics and still won't beat the pros via luck.

Wouldn't a true champion be able to cook one slab and either get it right or not?

OK, I have my kevlar on.
WHAT!?!? How could you ask a question like that???

Sorry, I had to make it worth putting on the Kevlar suit :)

As Boogiesnap said, every piece of meat is unique, and I want the best shot at putting the perfect meat into the box. I typically cook 24 thighs, 4 ranks of ribs, two butts (at least 9 lbs) and two briskets (at least 12 lbs.) that gives me a good variety to pick from.

There is a great variation in thighs, so I want as many as possible to pick from. I choose ribs that are close, but not exactly the same size so one may be more done than another, but usually at least two are where I want them.

For the butts, I could probably get by with one since they almost always taste the same, but I still cook two.

For brisket, they almost always taste different, so I can choose whichever one tastes best.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know, but let's say you cook one rack of ribs. And it falls on the ground. You think you've got any chance of getting all those foreign objects off of it so you don't get DQ'd? Or since you invested a chitload of time and money, is it really worth saving that extra $24 by not throwing those other 2 racks of ribs on when your only rack is laying in the dirt?

I cook 2 butts and 2 packers because invariably 1 of the 2 is better than the other and unless you're a "meat whisperer" you wouldn't know which of the 2 is going to be the best until you cook them.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Great answers! I wasn't trying to refute the practice, just trying to learn. I did wonder if one could be skilled enough to be a meat-whisperer. Also, I could cook 100 thighs and be DAL.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

For every competition we cook 2 briskets, two butts, 6 ribs, and 16 thighs...if we don't show up for work Monday am with BBQ for our co-workers we get the cold shoulder...lol!

But seriously now...to answer your question...we increase our odds of producing a good, better, or best product by cooking more meats to choose from. We have (on several occasions) been very glad that we did...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

I struggle with this too. This is our first year competing and competition BBQ is really expensive. We cook what we need for competition. We don't cook extra brisket or butts. If we cooked twice the meat we would have to limit our competitions. So far it is working for us. If you are getting sponsorship and getting a great deal on your meat, fine, cook 2x the meat. It starts to get to the point where even if you win GC or RC you break even.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I don't know, but let's say you cook one rack of ribs. And it falls on the ground. You think you've got any chance of getting all those foreign objects off of it so you don't get DQ'd? Or since you invested a chitload of time and money, is it really worth saving that extra $24 by not throwing those other 2 racks of ribs on when your only rack is laying in the dirt?

I cook 2 butts and 2 packers because invariably 1 of the 2 is better than the other and unless you're a "meat whisperer" you wouldn't know which of the 2 is going to be the best until you cook them.
i agree, but if you think a rack of comp ribs cost 12 bucks...

it all nickel and dimes you to death.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post

Trust me....

It's worse when you're pal / teammate "unintentionally" drops the entire rack of perfectly cooked, glazed chicken parts falls on the ground just before placing in boxes ..

You'd think 18-24 pcs would be safe...

safe enough to prevent a DQ, but not safe enough to place 68th of 72 (when everyhing else was Top 5 - 10)

Ask Sledneck why I retired

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

we presale all of are leftovers. ribs 1 bad cut get a tear we will change racks
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Selection..Selection..Selection.

I cooked four racks of ribs once. Each rack seasoned the same way. Each had a different tenderness and taste.

Brisket, had one too tender, one too tough, etc.

I rather be safe. As everyone else said, sell the leftovers, feed family & friends, freeze it. (I have way to much left over BBQ in the freezer)

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
kenthanson
Full Fledged Farker

We cook two Butts because certain parts are the perfect doneness at different temps. We do four racks of ribs because we have the room and it gives us the big get margin for getting 6-8 perfect ribs. Chicken is cheap so we do 20 trimmed thighs, 10 un-trimmed and a dozen drums just for fun.
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i agree, but if you think a rack of comp ribs cost 12 bucks...
I'm normally paying around $36 for a 3 pack of ribs that I trim to St. Louis, I normally buy 2 packs to get 3 good racks, but I sell the extras for what I paid to my buddies that want to cook them and my 3 racks normally cost around $12 each.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

+1 what they've all said above. Selection, and frankly disaster recovery. I personally
witnessed Bub-Ba-Q trip with this chicken box and dump the entire contents in the gravel & sand as we were heading to turn-in (actually it was his wife carrying the box who tripped). Thankfully for him he'd cooked plenty, he went back to his table, wiped out the box, put 9 pieces of chicken in now without garnish, placed 2nd in chicken that day and GC'd.

I smile when I read about how expensive it is to compete and the meat costs... Try MBN sometime. HOLY TAMALE!!! I actually cook a little extra at each competition because I enjoy the leftovers and so do my friends. We stock the fridge and freezers...