The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default cooked first comp in la platte

i've judged 31 contests and was gonna cook with a friend in la platte ne to finish off the mcbj requirement. he had to cancel and after looking at my schedule, i wasn't going to be able to cook again until octber, no good. so i talked my friend hamiltont and fellow gothenburg contest organizer jb into forming HEB BBQ (on tuesday) and headed to la platte on friday morning.

altho hamiltont was the head cook, he let me decide on what/how to put things in the box. long story short, my stubborness led us to a 33rd place finish out of 40.

as some of you know, judges scores are all over the place (lol). we received a 9 and then the dreaded 6 from the same table. that's a head scratcher.

nucornhusker was at the site next to us, also cooking for the first time, he finished a very respectable 21st. he's gonna do well in future comps, congrats to him.

i want to thank hamiltont and jb for jumping in at the last minute to help a brother out. i apprecitae it very much.

one final note, parsley is what will keep me judging.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats to you and to nucornhusker on your first competitions! Sounds like both teams did respectable. I know what you mean about the parsley comment, I hate building them darn boxes!

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
Extreme BBQ Trailer 8.5' x 22'
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
Congrats to you and to nucornhusker on your first competitions! Sounds like both teams did respectable. I know what you mean about the parsley comment, I hate building them darn boxes!
Congrats to you on the GC!
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
i've judged 31 contests and was gonna cook with a friend in la platte ne to finish off the mcbj requirement. he had to cancel and after looking at my schedule, i wasn't going to be able to cook again until octber, no good. so i talked my friend hamiltont and fellow gothenburg contest organizer jb into forming HEB BBQ (on tuesday) and headed to la platte on friday morning.

altho hamiltont was the head cook, he let me decide on what/how to put things in the box. long story short, my stubborness led us to a 33rd place finish out of 40.

as some of you know, judges scores are all over the place (lol). we received a 9 and then the dreaded 6 from the same table. that's a head scratcher.

nucornhusker was at the site next to us, also cooking for the first time, he finished a very respectable 21st. he's gonna do well in future comps, congrats to him.

i want to thank hamiltont and jb for jumping in at the last minute to help a brother out. i apprecitae it very much.

Arrowhead, I commend you for being a dedicated judge and now a cook! It takes alot of money, time, patience, and dedication to take the leep! I hope to see you on the bbq trail and if you judge the Aksarben contest look for the Honeybadger!
Whole Hog & CS 680 Louisiana Grills
WSM 18.5 blown with an IQ110
Orion Cooker
*FORMER SMOKER HOARDER*, NOW A HOARDER AGAIN!

Proud member of the Iowa Barbeque Society & Rocky Mountain BBQ Association
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Thank you for the kind words! It was great to meet you guys and cook next to you.

I was a little bummed I was on the end of a four-way tie break for 10th in ribs. All in all though we had a good time and I look forward to cooking in more comps soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post

Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Congrats to you on the GC!
Thanks a bunch! It was quite an exciting experience as this was our first GC.

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
KCBS Member and CBJ

Unread 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Big congrats on the GC to the Trucky Boys!! Very excited for you.

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

I have to say I have a whole new perspective on BBQ from a competitor's point of view. WOW that's a lot of work to meet a 10 minute window with a perfect presentation. I agree with Arrowhead. 9's & 6's from the same table. I guess we threw them a few curves they haven't seen before... ;-)

Forgot to mention: I wish those who gave the 6's would have filled out a comment card so we could understand their reasoning. As a judge I always fill out a card for a 6 or less. Cheers!!!

Last edited by hamiltont; 08-20-2012 at 03:05 PM..
hamiltont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
"Holy Smokes"
Got Wood.

Downloads: 1

First contest also. Learned a lot. Not a fan of no comment cards for 6s or less. Saw one team with a 5 and no comment card. As a judge first, it puts a whole new perspective on the process and comment cards. Fun weekend, atmosphere, great event all the way around.

Unread 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Holy Smokes" View Post
First contest also. Learned a lot. Not a fan of no comment cards for 6s or less. Saw one team with a 5 and no comment card. As a judge first, it puts a whole new perspective on the process and comment cards. Fun weekend, atmosphere, great event all the way around.
Agreed! I got murdered by two judges in chicken, and good numbers from the other four. Comment cards would have been nice as to why they scored it so low. I will definatly keep cards in mind if I ever judge.

Unread 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
Thanks a bunch! It was quite an exciting experience as this was our first GC.
pardon my manners.

congrats on your first GC!

glad we could contribute in some small way. lol

Unread 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

Great job on GC Don! And Congrats to all who walked. Very proud of my boy Robert of Holy Smokes BBQ for 3rd in chicken, 7th ribs, and 12th overall for your first comp! I feel like a proud coach! Now I need some rib pointers...

Unread 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
"Holy Smokes"
Got Wood.

Downloads: 1

Smitty250, you made it easy for us, well except for pork and brisket, dropped the ball there.

Unread 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Big congrats on the GC to the Trucky Boys!! Very excited for you.
Thanks Pat! Will we see you guys at Septemberfest or RCR in Omaha?

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
KCBS Member and CBJ

Unread 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Holy Smokes" View Post
Awesome job Robert, a 3rd in chicken is outstanding!

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
KCBS Member and CBJ