getting started in MD

bdadams84

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm trying to start my own BBQ vending business. My biggest obstacle is the Montgomery County health department. They require that all prep work is done in a licensed commercial kitchen. Even a mobile kitchen requires a licensed commercial kitchen as a "base of operations". They will not license a residential kitchen for commercial use.

I've contacted a few commercial kitchens in the area to see about renting time in their kitchens. I haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone out there have experience working with health departments with similar requirements? Any advice?

I understand and respect the need for regulations to ensure that the public is served food that is safe. At the same time requirements that are overly tight restrict the growth of new business which is needed in this economy.

You are not alone... we're running into the same issues in Fairfax County, VA :(

You are not alone... we're running into the same issues in Fairfax County, VA :(

The regs seem to be about the same in the DC area. I checked Montgomery County, Fredrick County, and DC. They're all about the same.

I'm trying to start my own BBQ vending business. My biggest obstacle is the Montgomery County health department. They require that all prep work is done in a licensed commercial kitchen. Even a mobile kitchen requires a licensed commercial kitchen as a "base of operations". They will not license a residential kitchen for commercial use.

I've contacted a few commercial kitchens in the area to see about renting time in their kitchens. I haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone out there have experience working with health departments with similar requirements? Any advice?

I understand and respect the need for regulations to ensure that the public is served food that is safe. At the same time requirements that are overly tight restrict the growth of new business which is needed in this economy.

Try some local churches. My church has a complete commercial HD approved kitchen that sits unused most days (for now:wink: I use it twice a month). Also check with fraternal organizations like Moose or Elk lodges, FoE, KofC, etc.

Try some local churches. My church has a complete commercial HD approved kitchen that sits unused most days (for now:wink: I use it twice a month). Also check with fraternal organizations like Moose or Elk lodges, FoE, KofC, etc.

I have started looking at church kitchens. Up until last month, that would not have been an option due to county zoneing laws. Local organizations and private schools are a limited option since the zoneing restrictions still apply with the exception of the cities of Rockville and Gaithersburg.

The zoneing change for church kitchens is very new. I just learned of it today. That being the case I'he got to see who's willing to help and what may be required in trade.

I have started looking at church kitchens. Up until last month, that would not have been an option due to county zoneing laws. Local organizations and private schools are a limited option since the zoneing restrictions still apply with the exception of the cities of Rockville and Gaithersburg.

The zoneing change for church kitchens is very new. I just learned of it today. That being the case I'he got to see who's willing to help and what may be required in trade.

I'd guess a couple of BBQ's a year would get your foot in the door...:wink:

Good luck, I'm in early planning stages right now here in Lancaster county PA. I've been poring over the HD regs and I'm hoping I can just have my mobile site setup certified and I'll do my prep on site for now. Option 2 at this point for me would be to go to my church and ask them for kitchen access.

I would only be prepping butts, whole untrimmed spares and maybe brisket on site. To me that sounds do-able at the scale I'm looking at. I am looking at farmers market type vending. Again, good luck.

I hoping to start with the same stuff, pork butts and briskets. Once I can lock down a deal for kitchen space, the rest will be relatively easy. I did hear back from a local kitchen, but no real details yet. The owner wants to sit down and chat. But it wasn't a flat out "no"!

The restrictions in Mont. County and Fairfax don't surprise me. I am down in Prince William and was looking to do some road side vending but have not been able to find what the regs are. I see all manners down here from the smoker behind the truck to the full competition rigs with kitchens and a/c.

Let me know how it goes for you and where you get located, I'll be sure to come by and support you.

I would suggest that you build a trailer that will meet the health requirements so down the road you don't have to rely on anyone.

How to the HD regs apply to your smoker if you using a HD certified kitchen? My understanding is that here in TX your smoker has to be screened in. This is true for restaurants and mobile vending.

Grew up in K-Town. Good luck! Might consider going over to the Bethesda Co-op Market at Old Georgetown and Greentree and asking them how they got their BBQ trailer going. I'm guessing they probably have a kitchen in the market, but they might be willing to give you some insight.

J's, my smokers Stumps 223's are mounted on the back porch, no problem w/health department. I designed it to be able to put on screens if needed.

I would suggest that you build a trailer that will meet the health requirements so down the road you don't have to rely on anyone.

That's what I wanted to do; however, even a mobile kitchen that passes all the health department inspections has to have a "base of operations" that is a certified commercial kitchen.

If I can find out the regs in nearby counties, that might work. But I already know it won't work in Fredrick County (North of me). And I have to find out more about Prince Georges and Howard counties.

Grew up in K-Town. Good luck! Might consider going over to the Bethesda Co-op Market at Old Georgetown and Greentree and asking them how they got their BBQ trailer going. I'm guessing they probably have a kitchen in the market, but they might be willing to give you some insight.

Thanks for the heads up.

I order for me to even think about vending, I know I need a new vehicle. Add to that that my current car is a POS that needs more work done than it's worth. Now I was browsing vans like the Ford E-150 just to see what's out there and what a fair price is.

I found that what I'm looking for is hard to find. I don't want a new one and I don't want one that has 180k on it. It's hard to find one in the middle of all that. I happened to find one and I am hoping to close on it by Friday. My in-laws are awesome and helpful. My father-in-law was there for the test drive and walk-around. He checked things I had never thought about. My uncle-in-law actually works for the same dealer at a different location, and will be pulling up the actual inspection and repair report from the garage which is more detailed than the "138 point signature inspection" that joe public sees.

If this works out, I will have cleared the biggest financial hurdle I'm facing to get this thing off the ground.

So not only did I buy the van that will eventually be the Que-Wagon, but I got a couple potential customers. AFTER the sell was signed and sealed, the rep I talked to told me to give him my business info when I get everything up and running. He hosts a couple small cookouts each year; and the manager even gave me his card and said if things get going good I could do a cook out for the employees and families at the dealership!!!

Back