ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sam's Smithfield Ribs

We have been confounded by Sam's ribs for a while now. We really liked the IBP ribs that our Sam's here in East TN had then they changed them to Smithfield. They were OK for a while and then the quality went down hill fast. We would buy 6-9 racks and it would take that many to get enough to turn in.
Last year we were in Greensboro, NC Sam's Local and we had used the Smithfield. The Sam's Club General Manager came by and gave me a hard time because I had Kirkland's (Costco) cooking spray sitting on my smoker. I then proceeded to give him down the road about Smithfield ribs. We took a top five in ribs and GC overall so I told him I had no problem eating my words.
This year when we have used the Sam's Smithfield ribs, we usually get one good rack and two not so good racks. This past weekend the middle rack of each pack had a cut straight down the middle of the top or the rack. That was two racks we could not use!
We complained to the local Sam's and the "Fresh Manager" contacted us and said he was trying to change but needed ammunition. We told him our story about how we could not use such ribs and also our problem of actually getting ribs at our local Sam's. So far this has not helped our cause.
Has anyone else had this problem with Smithfield ribs? I personally hate them, but at this point there is not another place local that I can buy ribs that are not frozen or already injected with "enhancing juices".
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

My local SAMs in east Louisville hasn't had ANY ribs all summer long. 1 or 2 packs of butts and 1 or 2 whole packers. The last several years they had good supply and quality, don't know what happened this year.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

All of my local clubs up until last week had prairie fresh,i loved them. they dropped them and now they have ibp. I hate them. I July i used the smith fields in Troy ny, I thought they sucked
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

+1 smithfield ribs suck
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Last two years my local Sam's Club had nice consistent IBP spares and pork butts. This year it has been hit or miss with whatever they can buy the cheapest. Lately they have been putting their label on Farmland ribs and they look awful.

Unread 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
All of my local clubs up until last week had prairie fresh,i loved them. they dropped them and now they have ibp. I hate them. I July i used the smith fields in Troy ny, I thought they sucked
My Sam's Club normally carries IBP but last year for a few weeks all they had was Prairie Fresh. I used the Prairie Fresh in 2 comps and finished 1st and 2nd in ribs. They've since gone back to IBP. I want Prairie Fresh back!!

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
Extreme BBQ Trailer 8.5' x 22'
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

The Prairie Fresh is what we have been begging them to carry. They have been telling us that it is only a back up when they can't get Smithfield. Told them it needs to be the other way around. I am at the point of considering from an online company.
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

Real stupid question.... What does IBP mean...
Buckscent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

IBP was formerly known as Iowa Beef Processors but is now Tyson Fresh Meats. This could be the reason that Sam's doesn't carry them anymore.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
smokeworker
Knows what a fatty is.

last week in pittsburgh I settled for the crap at the sam's comp event site. I honestly didnt think We had a chance to advance in our first major competition. I have used Sam's ribs from youngstown plenty of times for catering, and just figured they would be fine. We got a call in chicken and brisket and totally tanked in ribs! the baby backs were amazingly small, and the spares had no meat on them with every bone bent to one side or the other. My fault for not giving myself a chance by getting my ribs at my butcher.........

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
My Sam's Club normally carries IBP but last year for a few weeks all they had was Prairie Fresh. I used the Prairie Fresh in 2 comps and finished 1st and 2nd in ribs. They've since gone back to IBP. I want Prairie Fresh back!!
Prairie fresh told me today that stores will be carrying the prairie fresh in September . I did manage to find some today for this weekend contest at a supermarket chain. They were individually wrapped which I ve never seen before. I liked that.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I liked Excel brand better than IBP, and Prairie Fresh is OK too! Our local Sams used to carry Excel exclusively and now it's hit and miss.

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

I usually try to avoid Smithfield ribs but had to use them in Franklin. Was fortunate to get some good ones and pull a 2nd.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

My local Sam's has been carrying "FarmLand" ribs which are really hit or miss (more miss really)! Luckily, I can get "Swift" brand ribs if I order them a few days before I need them.

Unread 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

As a partime famer I can tell you that farmers are dumping everything due to the midwest dought. Two things are going to happen... Hit or miss meat and high prices starting Nov Dec. Pork and beef! Until we get some good rain it will take some time to recover.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote