The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Toronto/GTA Wedding Needs BBQ for 100, anyone do that?

Just passing along a message for someone on CH.

Original message:

We're getting married next year and we wanted to do a low key BBQ at our wedding. We're exploring different options- preparing the food ourselves, hiring somebody to come in and just do the barbecuing, or having somebody come to do it all.

I would ideally like to provide the food and just have somebody come in and do the grilling, but I can't seem to find anybody who can do that!

Does anybody have any suggestions? The wedding will be approximately 100 people, and we're trying to save money wherever possible.

Thanks!

Their e-mail: bluejays570@gmail.com

Original thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/862976
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I.m not anywhere near Toronto, but to have someone provide the food they want cooked by someone else is a disaster waiting to happen.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

But who cooks at their own wedding?

What I'm hearing you say is to let a stranger handle the food is a crazy idea, but I'm sure they'd have to make their case to the couple that they can handle it, have done it before, etc etc. Same as any other caterer.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post

What I'm hearing you say is to let a stranger handle the food is a crazy idea, but I'm sure they'd have to make their case to the couple that they can handle it, have done it before, etc etc. Same as any other caterer.
I think what MadMan is saying is to have someone else buy all the raw product and you just show up to cook it is a bad bad idea. And I would totally agree with that.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

> But who cooks at their own wedding?

I did, and it was a mistake!!!

Check to see if there is a competition cook team around, especially one accustomed to competing in MBN (because they're accustomed to making that quantity of meat). That, or seek the caterer...

I've done exactly what you're describing before for 2 of my friends and it worked great. They supplied the meat (actually I bought it and they reimbursed me for it), I supplied all spices, wood, and everything else, I cooked and kept them out of the food while they were plenty drunk, the next day they and their peeps helped prep by pulling pork, slicing beef, etc. It was more work than they all thought, but they/we did it fairly inexpensively, and my wedding gift to each of them was no bill for the services....
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

I've heard http://divaq.ca/about-diva-q does a pretty good BBQ. Not sure if she does catering. Contact info at the bottom...

Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
I did the cooking at our wedding in 2004, figured we fed about 150 people.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I did the cooking at our wedding in 2004, figured we fed about 150 people.
I think we're all agree that we're not "normal" segment of the population lol. Normal as any other, but pretty specific. Bet it was great :)