עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #31
qman
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Very fine looking ham indeed, kevin.

Unread 11-25-2005, 07:57 AM   #32
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did another Dr. Chicken Double Smoked Ham yesterday using a Cumberland Gap semi-boneless ham. The butt bone and shank bone were both removed so only the long bone in the center remained. I will never use another semi-boneless. All of the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectible Marinade leaked out!! It was still good and I received plenty of compliments on the ham but it was not up to my standards. I went to 5 different gocery stores trying to find a whole bone-in ham and the best I could come up with was the semi-boneless. Never again.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #33
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hell Neil, I had a Cook's whole bone-in ham and about 80% of my injectable Dr. Death marinade leaked out by morning too. But it still had an awesome taste! you could definitely taste the Amaretto... MANY compliments (on the done part anyway...).
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #34
Bigmista

Good looking Ham Kevin! I used the Dr. Chicken Glaze on the outside and was going to glaze the slices but my wife and kid tasted the ham after I smoked it and threatened my life if I dared to do anything else to it.

I guess it tasted pretty good.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #35
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

We have about 3lbs of a 26# left as Mister said it must have been good

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #36
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_man22
If you can not find the Watkins items in your area (like me) you can order it on line at:

www.WatkinsOnline.com
I ordered my Watkins stuff from http://www.qualityextracts.com/ and saved a couple of bux on shipping

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #37
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsm
I ordered my Watkins stuff from http://www.qualityextracts.com/ and saved a couple of bux on shipping
Cool. Thanks for the link. I dropped the ball and forgot to order my extracts for the double smoked ham for T-Day. I do plan to do a ham for Xmas though. Always nice to have a secondary store for goods.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2005, 06:44 AM   #38
BlueIdTxan
Got Wood.

I keep seeing problems with locating a bone in ham. Are there no Meat markets/Butcher shops where you can go to get them???? Just curious
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#0000ff]Get it today cause dang sure gonna gone tommrow :biggrin: [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#0000ff]Kinsford Kettle[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#0000ff]Magma SS Gass grill[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkman Charcoal Smoker[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#0000ff]Bandera (with mods)[/COLOR][/FONT]
BlueIdTxan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #39
Brauma

A big $5 thanks to WSM for the link to QualityExtracts. Although their site charges .50c more for the rum extract, the over all cost is $5 less. Ive ordered my extracts to do the double smoked ham and all I need to buy now is the Karo. I bought some of that good sqaure top Amaretto the other day and Im really looking forward to getting into that several times before and after the ham. I like to spill it in coffee. It's the cat's ass.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #40
Kevin

Amaretto is good in coffee,capuccino,hot chocolate,my belly, and most anywhere else ingested. Believe it or not, if you eat a little too much, not that any of us ever does, it is an excellent remedy for indigestion. Better than a rolaid.

Unread 12-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #41
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Not to mention Amaretto Stone Sours and Bocce Balls Jello Shots...

Amaretto Stone Sour recipe

1 part amaretto almond liqueur
1 part sweet and sour mix
1 part orange juice

Shake and serve over ice in a tall glass.

Bocce Ball Jiggle Shots

2 small box (or one large) orange jell-o
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup amaretto

Mix Jello, boiling water and Amaretto and let cool.

Pour into 2-ounce cups or a large pan and chill. If in a large pan, cut
into two ounce or smaller servings before serving.

Sunday, 8/10/2014 Brethren Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :)

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #42
Ron_L

I'm about to put my first Dr. Chicken Ham into the cooker for dinner tonight. The resipe says to allow about 30 minutes per pound at 225 degrees. Are you guys seeing this as pretty typical? I'll probably put it in a bit early just in case it takes longer. Will the ham be OK in a cooler for an hour or so if needed?

Sunday, 8/10/2014 Brethren Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :)

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Unread 12-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #43
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Ron, timing should be real close. The big variable there will be how cold your ham is when you start. It will be fine in the cooler. Hope you enjoy it, the glaze is AWESOME!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #44
Ron_L

It came out wonderful. I took the left over glaze and reduced it and used it as a sauce for the meat. Great stuff!

The Naked Fatty!

Unread 12-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #45
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIdTxan
I keep seeing problems with locating a bone in ham. Are there no Meat markets/Butcher shops where you can go to get them???? Just curious
Blue, looks like your comment passed by, or maybe it was addressed in another thread and I missed it.

a little closer to Christmas (ie. RIGHT NOW!!) go to any of your larges chain stores. Looks for a Cooks, Smithfield, or Honey Farm or something like that, bone in ham shank (not spiral sliced, from what I read in therecipe).

The stores are loaded with them.

We had a 10.5 pounder tonight of the spiral sliced variety in the oven, but I can't wait to try this double smoked recipe.

And oh yeah, its like 1.69# here. Less this week, as the fresh hams (versus frozen) have a shorter shelf life.

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote