Temp for slicing butts

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is the ideal temp for slicing butt? Seems every time I try to slice it falls apart. Usually pull at about 195 - 200

I slice them thin at 170. The slices hold up nicely. A pork butt reuben is a beautiful thing.

I have been having the same problem. If you pull the butts out at the lower temp, will you have fattier money muscles?

Assuming your talking about money muscle. If so 185 to 190 in the money muscle. Rest of butt will probably be lower temp. If its already wrapped, vent to stop additional cooking then seal back up and hold for at least 1 hour.

last comp i pulled my money muscle butt at around 170, sliced amazingly, and got me 2nd place! We chunked up the rest of it, and it was actually great, perfectly tender little morsels

Assuming (like Ford) that you're talking about the $M, we pull our butts when the $M is 200. I'm still able to slice it, but I use an electric knife to do it or the bark will crumble and tear. Still have to be REAL easy, but the slices stay together enough to handle and box.

Couldn't tell you about slicing the rest of the butt cuz I've never done it.

Back