MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
GrillNewbie
On the road to being a farker

Default Best Way To Re-Heat Your Leftover Pulled Pork ?

I don't have leftovers but.... I made my first pork shoulder yesterday and lets just say it wasn't done in time for dinner..lol..

It was 8:30 before it was 198F and it went into the cooler until almost 10:30. I pulled it, sampled it and put it in a bowl and covered it. There it sits in the fridge waiting for dinnertime.

How do you guys reheat pulled pork w/o drying it out ?
GrillNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Vacuum seal it.

When you are ready to reheat it, drop the vacuum seal bag in a pot of simmering water for 20-30 minutes... if it's frozen it may take a little longer...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to steam my ribs and boil/microwave my PP, depending on how lazy I'm being
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

The ABSOLUTE BEST WAY is to vacuum seal it and freeze it. Then just pop the whole bag (FROZEN) into a pot of water heat up the pot. When the bag's too hot to touch, it's done. ZERO drying out and it's just as good as the day it was cooked. I have literally done dozens and dozens of bags this way.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, I'd recommend just putting the pork in a pan, add some apple juice, cover it and bring it up slowly in the oven at low temp.

HINT: If you do go the vacuum seal route, try and "squish" the pork into nice, even, thin as possible. These bags below are 2 lbs each and the way I package them, they take up less space in the freezer and reheat much quicker.

Last edited by Wampus; 08-09-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Arg1129

If you don't own a sealer, because I sure don't (yet), I always pull or chop the pork and put it into. A crock pot with a little apple or pear juice. Put the crock on warm and stir every once in a while. Yes it stews it a tad but it stays moist. It does take a couple hours to fully heat back up.

Ps if there is any fat or juice in the bag pour it in too.
[COLOR="Green"]Brit Racing Green[/COLOR] Thermapen
Mavrick ET732
Arg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
BeansBaxter
Knows what a fatty is.

Agree with the vacuum seal responses but a cheap alternative is to use freezer zip-top bags. I've reheated pulled pork this way quite a few times and it always turns out great.

The only problem I ever had was when I used my friend's range which is one of those industrial kitchen type ranges. Turns out the BTUs coming out of that burner are quite a bit higher than mine at home and the flame pattern is wider. I ended up melting the plastic bag where it was hanging over the edge of the pot!

Now I heat the water then pour it into a small cooler with the bag of pork and never have a problem.

Between the pulled pork and my sous-vide experiments in the cooler my family and friends are giving me some strange looks. Good thing they like my Q and cooking!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
nthole
Babbling Farker

What Wampus said. Those are the two best ways. You can also put it in a casserol dish or 13x9 type pan and pop it in the oven with some juice wrapped in foil, but not that it can take a LONG time for this to bring it up to temp. 2 - 3 hours at a low heat. I've never tried hammering it at like 400, but I'd bet it would still take a good 45 - 60 minutes to get the center up to temp.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 with Wampus. I've found that a gallon bag will take 45+ minutes.

I've also had a problem where the bag broke open due to hot spots on the bottom of the pot. I now put a bowl upside down in the bottom of the pot for my pork to rest on.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
What Wampus said. Those are the two best ways. You can also put it in a casserol dish or 13x9 type pan and pop it in the oven with some juice wrapped in foil, but not that it can take a LONG time for this to bring it up to temp. 2 - 3 hours at a low heat. I've never tried hammering it at like 400, but I'd bet it would still take a good 45 - 60 minutes to get the center up to temp.
Yeah, I just reheated about 5 lbs (a full 1/2 foil pan anyway) of pork this past Sunday and it took about 1.5-2 hours to get warm throughout. I even got impatient and turned the oven temp from 200 to 300 about 1/2 way through.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

I like to reheat in a frying pan..you get the nice crispy edges with the tender moist middle. It also only takes a couple of minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
PollardsVision
Got Wood.

I normally reheat in a half-size foil pan covered tightly with foil. I'll add a touch more ACV, if needed. I normally go at 300 degrees, sometimes 350, stirring after 15 minutes.
I've never noticed it takes more than 45 minutes.

For you vacuum sealers, do you freeze before you "vacuum"?
I vacuum seal leftover PP sometimes, but I always have to freeze it before vacuuming. Otherwise, I end up with alot of juices getting pulled out of the bag of PP.
That's why I don't fuss with the vacuum sealer, unless I plan on storing in the freezer relatively long-term.

Is there some other method to prevent this?
PollardsVision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Microwave
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Vacuum seal it.

When you are ready to reheat it, drop the vacuum seal bag in a pot of simmering water for 20-30 minutes... if it's frozen it may take a little longer...
I agree with JM.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
GrillNewbie

Jeesh...this friggin' Kamado keeps getting more and more expensive everytime I find out I need something eles...

Ok... so vacuum seal and reheat in hot water. cool.

I'm guesssing I can just move what I have in the fridge into bags with a little apple juice and reheat slowly...

Thank you, gentlemen ! I'll tell you what.. I belong to firearm, hunting, automotive, even appliance forums and this group is the most enthusiastic bunch I've ever encountered.

I like it !
GrillNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Get a frying pan hot and put a handfull of pork in it with a Apple Juice ice cube.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote