The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Carolina Don
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Big cook this weekend.

I have been volunteered to cook for an estimated 35 people this weekend. One of my brother-in-law's fellow Army Rangers is retiring and he is throwing him a cookout/going away party. The menu is ribs and chicken. My question is how many racks of ribs and how much chicken should I plan on cooking?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Hmmm, this depends on the crowd, what sides you will have, the chicken are they pieces or whole.

I have a tenancy to always over cater as I im always scared people will want more food and I have run out.

For me personally - I would go for 1/2 rack per person and 2 pieces of chicken with sides - If you have the cooking space - its always nice to do some starters where the folks can hang around the smokers / bbq and have some finger foods as well
dseskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Carolina Don

Cooking it all on a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain

Old 07-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Carolina Don

My plan is to start Friday evening and smoke the ribs for a couple of hours. Wrap, refridgerate, and then finish in the oven Saturday while cooking the chicken on the smoker.

Last edited by Carolina Don; 07-19-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Carolina Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
dseskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Don View Post
My plan is to start Friday evening and smoke the ribs for a couple of ours. Wrap, refridgerate, and then finish in the oven Saturday while cooking the chicken on the smoker.
The chicken will not take very long - you can always cook the ribs, wrap and put in a home made canberra to keep warm.

I am not one to cook - refrigerate and cook again - its never going to taste the same
dseskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

What time is the event? I'd do as mentioned above. Cook the ribs, let them rest to stop cooking, wrap in foil, wrap in warmed in the dryer, heavy, old towels, put into a warmed, empty cooler filled with more warm towels. Then, increase the heat, and get your chicken going.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station

WSCG Review HERE.
WSM Mods HERE.
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Carolina Don

Party begins at 1pm. Oh well.......so much for sleeping.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

So, say you want everything off the smoker by 12. Chicken takes up to a couple hours depending how you are cooking it, so it has to be on by 10 am. I did SLC spares on my WSM at 275 and they took about 4 hours, so those would need to be on by 6 am. If you prep everything the night before, that means the latest you could start the pit would be 5 am. I'd probably not tempt fate and get up around 4 am to give a little more flex time. You can always grab a short nap while the ribs are cooking.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station

WSCG Review HERE.
WSM Mods HERE.
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote