MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default When life gives you zucchini, make french fries!

Made some ribs last night for dinner tonight. Had to counter balance with something kinda healthy.

Used one of my big zucchini's from the backyard. Eggwashed, floured, added some rub and sprayed with PAM to help crisp them up.

Turned out pretty good. How can anything smothered in rub be bad?

Last edited by tortaboy; 10-16-2014 at 08:38 PM..
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
SQURILEY STUBBS
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wow that looks amazing I'm going to have to try this but I'm wondering what was your temp set at and about how long did they take?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQURILEY STUBBS View Post
Wow that looks amazing I'm going to have to try this but I'm wondering what was your temp set at and about how long did they take?
Plus 1 on this... Tell us more. I have a farkin' ton of zuc and yellow squash I need to do something with before they take over the planet.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQURILEY STUBBS View Post
Thanks. Temp was at 400. I made a second batch at 450 that was much better and much crispier.

10 minutes, turn, 8 minutes.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Plus 1 on this... Tell us more. I have a farkin' ton of zuc and yellow squash I need to do something with before they take over the planet.
Thanks Al.

I've got a ton also.....and if I wait a day or two, they get bigger than footballs!

My wife put aluminum foil on the pie pan on this batch. No good because it's hard to turn them over midway into the cook. I did a second batch directly on the cookie sheet coated with PAM. Easier to flip and with a little more heat, they crisped up nicely.

Heat BBQ to 450

Cut Zucchini into sticks

Make a coating with wheat flour, white flour, some cornmeal and salt

Make an Egg wash for the Zucchini

Dip the Zucchini in egg and then roll into the dry batter

Put the coated Zucchini on the cookie sheet and sprinkle liberally with your favorite rub

Put cookie sheet on grill for 10 minutes. Flip, add rub to bottom side, and give them another 8 minutes.

You'll wanna eat the whole batch!

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great. Makes me wish I would have put a couple in the garden this year.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemezspring View Post
Looks great. Makes me wish I would have put a couple in the garden this year.
Thanks. I always enjoy them...and like figuring out ways to make them more fattening.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Thanks. I always enjoy them...and like figuring out ways to make them more fattening.
Here's another way we do the squash overload.

In a 6 quart dutch oven saute one whole chopped onion in olive oil with garlic and S&P. When the onion is sweated, add two to four cubed football sized squash plus enough soy sauce to give a decent amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan. Cook the squash stirring frequently until it softens and breaks down. The squash will end up releasing a bunch of water on its own that will need to be poured off when tender. After pouring off some of the liquid, add grated parmesan cheese and cover till the cheese is melted. I know it sounds like a gooey farkin mess but it sure is tasty!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

I dredged my zucchini in egg, flour, panko breadcrumbs and asiago and then deep fried them in oil. Sweet jeebus they were great...

Still, this looks awesome. I might have to give this a shot. Got close to a three pounder on my counter right now...
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Lookin' good, lookin' good!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

In a 6 quart dutch oven saute one whole chopped onion in olive oil with garlic and S&P. When the onion is sweated, add two to four cubed football sized squash plus enough soy sauce to give a decent amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan. Cook the squash stirring frequently until it softens and breaks down. The squash will end up releasing a bunch of water on its own that will need to be poured off when tender. After pouring off some of the liquid, add grated parmesan cheese and cover till the cheese is melted. I know it sounds like a gooey farkin mess but it sure is tasty!
It doesn't sound like a mess. Sounds awesome. Will try that tomorrow as I've got a bunch of Candy Onions ready also.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Hey Mongo....just remembered I've got a spider and a wok coming in the mail any day now....you thinking what I'm thinking?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker

Those look great. Have you ever used a spray bottle that you can fill with oil?
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
gsmith
Full Fledged Farker

Those look fantastic!

another way to use them up is to slice them about 1/4" thick and marinade in italian dressing. Toss them on the grill and when they are just about done top them with parmesan cheese. Take them off when cheese is melted. You want the squash/zucchini to get a little char on them. These are soo good and don't last very long
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

That's a great idea they sure look yummy ........................
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote