The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default i finally found the best knife sharpener for my money

You all know i have posted at least 4 times asking about knife sharpeners. After using 3 different 30-50$ range slide throughs, a very expensive chefs choice(120), i fionally found one that works AWESOMENESS. It is the presto 8810. 42$ on amazon. It is a three stage professional sharpener. Stage one takes ALOT of material off and is ONLY to be used for heavy damaged knives. Which i happened to have. 3 passes threw each stage(3 on each side so a total of 6 passes per stage) i have a razor sharp edge. I was able to take a 5mm thin slice of tomato, hold it verticaly,not laying on its face, and slice a paper thin tomato slice from it with out smashing the tomato.

By far the best i have used. You can get the 2 stage 8800 but it is only stage one(the one that eats metal) and stage 2 which does put a nice edge on it, but for an extra 8$ get the third stage which finishes the edge nicely.

here are some pics. It has 3 adjustable grades. Thick knives,Medium and thin. It can sharpen santuku knives as well.

I hope this helps others as well. The knife that was heavily damaged, was one i got for 50 cents at a thrift store. it is a way nice knife. i originally sharpened it on a bench grinder. so it was chipped to he!! and back.. But now, look at what it can do with ease.

Thanks for lookin

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You wear lacier clothes than I expected LT

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Cool. Thanks for the info - I've been looking for a good knife sharpener as well.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You wear lacier clothes than I expected LT
shhh, thats a secret. Wife doesnt know...

lol

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info - I've been looking for a good knife sharpener as well.
you are very welcome. i love it. I have tried tons of sharpeners and this one fits me. Now, im not bashing the wet stones and other systems such as wicked edge. I would LOVE one of those BUT being a full time engineering student who is married. This one is PERFECT for the price and im extremely happy with the razor sharp results. Chicken slices like butta. There is a review on amazon where the guy reviews his every year. Sop far he has had it 5 years. He works in a professional kitchen and this is what he uses.

HIGHLY recomend it.

Unread 08-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Devil Dave
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Sounds like something, I could use, Thxs fot the info
DD
Devil Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
jmoney7269
Banned

I have $5-250 knives and each serves it's own purpose, I have a plethora of victorinox fibrox, cutco, wustof, Chicago cutlery, and even some cheapie NSF blades. I have the cuisinart 1520 and use a honing steel after every use. Any knife I use with this 1520 I can not only slice Paper with, I can shave my arm with. I know it's not in the same price range, but how would you compare the two? For readers Purposes?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I have $5-250 knives and each serves it's own purpose, I have a plethora of victorinox fibrox, cutco, wustof, Chicago cutlery, and even some cheapie NSF blades. I have the cuisinart 1520 and use a honing steel after every use. Any knife I use with this 1520 I can not only slice Paper with, I can shave my arm with. I know it's not in the same price range, but how would you compare the two? For readers Purposes?
some of my knives are 100$ or so and this sharpener did a killer job on them. When i used my chefs choice 120,which i had for a year and took it back, the edge on my expensive knives couldnt cut a tomato without smashing it. I had to use alot more pressure than i wanted to to cut stuff. I gave the sharpener a year just to make sure it was not me. After sharpening them 8 times in a year, i had to take it back because it was not working for me. However, i did not have a honing steel at all. I have DMT diamond stones as well and used to use those all the time before the 120 was purchased. but this new electric presto i think is better than my DMT diamond stones.

I just had bad luck with my 120. I could slide the knife across my arm and nothing would happen. I was disappointed for 150$. Now this new one, it is very good at making my knives sharp. What i expected from my chefs choice 120 to do, is what i got from my presto. However, i have not tried the 1520 and i imagine it is superior to the 120 in many ways.

I wouldnt mind trying out a honing stone right after i sharpen it to see if it makes it more sharp by aligning the newly shaved edge. Which honing rod do you have? Do you use it RIGHT AFTER you sharpen or before?

tahnks

Unread 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I must be old fashioned. I'm still using a handled sharpener. I might as well be a caveman.

Unread 08-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
TonyT
On the road to being a farker

I'm with you trump. I use two japanese wetstones. We're both oldschool. I get fantastically sharp angles I haven't been able to get with electric sharpeners though.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I use an old fashioned sharpener. However, I also don't own any knives that cost three digits. If I did, maybe I would think differently. But old faithful should suffice until otherwise.

Unread 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Teleking
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Yeah, I use an old fashioned sharpener. However, I also don't own any knives that cost three digits. If I did, maybe I would think differently. But old faithful should suffice until otherwise.
I do own several approaching the 3 digit range and would never subject them to such abuse. If you feel the need to sharpen 8 times a year, stop using them on the tin can. I touch mine on a steel as needed and hit the diamond stone maybe once a year.

Keep practicing on the stone because 8 times a year on that evil device will leave you with just a handle.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can you cut paper without any jagged edges?

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 08-07-2012 at 08:36 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
jmoney7269
Banned

The honing steel I use is just a Henkels from bed bath and beyond.
Yes you can cut paper like buttah in the obvious dimension when holding it.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Here is a working link to the sharpener on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B000TYBWJ0

When linking from Amazon you have to click the Share link on the right hand side of the listing and then copy the Permalink in the window that pops up. That's the only link that is guaranteed to work.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote