The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default To comp teams, Is BBQ getting too big?

I competed this past weekend at the 6th Annual Battle of the BBQ Brethren, along with 42 other teams, a lot of them being new teams. This was the third year in a row that my team competed in this event. At some point during the competition I asked myself if BBQ is getting too big?
For so long, competing teams always wanted the media to pay attention to BBQ competitions because they wanted the sport to grow. Well, the media has finally caught on by putting BBQ all over TV. And because it is all over TV this has lead to many new teams being formed and jumping into the competition BBQ circuit. I feel this is the third generation of bbq'ers. Let me go over the 3 generations of bbq'ers.
The first generation of bbq'ers is the group that has been around for more than 5 years. They are the ones that were at competitions struggling to get the media involved. They are the ones that welcome new teams to the BBQ circuit. They make friends with the new members of this forum. They help new members of this forum at their competitions. They are winning the GC's. These are the OG's of BBQ.
The second generation of bbq'ers is the group that has been around for 2 to 5 years. This is the group that I feel like I fall into. This group has gotten into the competition BBQ circuit for either the love of BBQ & grilling, they love to cook, they saw an actual BBQ competition or they were talked into it by some veteran on this site. They go to competitions and introduce themselves to the friends that they've made on the forum as well as other new competitive teams. This group very much respects and admires the teams from the first generation.
Then there's the third generation of bbq'ers that make up most of the new teams that were at this competition. This generation is a direct by product of the media attention that the first generation so badly wanted. Because of the shows like BBQ Pitmasters, Best In Smoke and Chopped: Grillmasters, anyone with a tv and a grill thinks they can be the best bbq'ers in the world. Every douchey chef that thinks they're better than everyone on Top Chef, some group of tailgating drunks that saw a commercial for BBQ Pitmasters on a Sunday morning and had the genius idea to form a competition BBQ team or some frat house jerk-offs who watched Grilling with Bobby Flay and think it will be cool to stand in front of a BBQ all weekend while your site looks like a scene from Animal House. This is the group that doesn't introduce themselves to anyone a BBQ competition. This is the group that is not a member of this forum. This is the group that doesn't know BBQ etiquette. This is the group that doesnt understand the bbq camraderie. This is the group that you might see their team at 1 or 2 competitions but will never see them again.
This is the group that concerns me. There are a lot of teams from the first and second generation but what happens when the number of new teams from the 3rd generation outweighs the teams from the first and second generations combined? We will have competitions where the third generation bbq'ers will have more teams than the older generations. Eventually there will be more third generations teams than older generation teams.
If this happens, the douchey chefs, the tailgating drunks and the frat house jerk-offs will be what's become of competition BBQ. This is who we will be competiting against at every bbq competition. Do we want that?
I actually felt uncomfortable at this competition. There were so many new people at this competition and whereas I would normally say hi to someone I don't know and expect to get a response, I didnt do it at this competition because I felt like everyone I didn't know from this new third generation was mean-mugging me and was taking this competition way too serious. They don't understand that brethren say hi to, help out, root for and cheer for other teams. They dont know the etiquette. They don't understand the camaraderie.
Is this who you want to be competing against? I know I don't!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't care what generation BBQ'ers are from. Good people are good people. Jackasses are still going to be jackasses no matter what generation.

I think the best thing to do is to show the camaraderie, be polite and considerate and just be a good human. If you don't get the response you were looking for move on and get over it.

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
I don't care what generation BBQ'ers are from. Good people are good people. Jackasses are still going to be jackasses no matter what generation.

I think the best thing to do is to show the camaraderie, be polite and considerate and just be a good human. If you don't get the response you were looking for move on and get over it.
agreed. I started cooking comps because of bbq pitmasters. I am a huge jerky d-bag though so the OP may be onto something.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
fnbish
Babbling Farker

I'm a "3rd generation" who started competing directly because of pitmasters, so should I go ahead and stop competing (granted I'm on the forum)? I don't feel douchey or fratastic , but I have been wrong before......
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

The 3rd gen teams you talk about that are the douchey chefs, asses, drunks or fratboys well i look at them as field fillers who may get a random call but otherwise are not a threat. lol

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are reading this thread, you are NOT 3rd generation!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

Maybe they ignored you because they thought you were the douche? Possibility
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
If you are reading this thread, you are NOT 3rd generation!

IMO I think who cares. More people means possibly more comps close to home or prize money at existing comps. As long as quiet hours are respected they can be as douchey and unfriendly as they want. They will hang around till they are out of money or talent.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

I have nothing against the 3rd generation. I myself am a drunken, tailgating, frat house jerk off chef. I just wish they would be more like us. I want them to understand the etiquette and get the camraderie.

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
IMO I think who cares. More people means possibly more comps close to home or prize money at existing comps. As long as quiet hours are respected they can be as douchey and unfriendly as they want. They will hang around till they are out of money or talent.
Agreed. I think more people competing will bring more sponsorship and possibly more prize money at new and existing comps, and how is that a bad thing. We just did a comp last weekend and met some great people that will be at a local comp for me in a month and we can't wait to see them again, pick the gutair and have some beers. Guess that must make me a d-bag cooker but im fine with it. I have been Q n for years but just recently started competing. I love to compete even though sometimes we get beat by the d-bag teams. I think you have to go into it with the attitude that you are going to have fun and do your best and if other take that away you might need to get into a differen't sport.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Really, I wasted time reading this? Ugh.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
INmitch
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
I have nothing against the 3rd generation. I myself am a drunken, tailgating, frat house jerk off chef. I just wish they would be more like us. I want them to understand the etiquette and get the camraderie.

Actually I see us as a 3rd gen kinda team......except we started befor all the TV hipe. H3ll Johnny Trigg was getting his RV worked on in my little home town and I saw his smoker and stopped n shot the sh!t with him. I had no idea who I was talking to until I got home and looked up the Smokin Triggers(Duhh). As far as etiquette and camaraderie that comes with experiance and from your character. If your an a hole you won't be around long!! Good people are good people New Gen or old school!!

And I've met a few from the old school that could use a little work on their attitude!

Last edited by INmitch; 08-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: edit out swearing
INmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Rooter-Tooter BBQ
Got Wood.

I guess I fall into that 3rd generation as well. I have always loved to cook BBQ and when Pitmasters hit tv it made me want to compete. I agree with earlier posts, as long as you respect others, quiet when its time then all is well. Personally, even though I only get to compete in maybe 4 to 5 comps a yr my main reason for being there is to win. I like all the meeting new people and talking to the guys and gals that you see regularly on the circuit but when it comes down to it, id say 99% of the real BBQer's are there to win. Concentration and focus is what is to be taken care of. I like what Bourbon Barrel said, more teams = more money = more comps close by.
Rooter-Tooter BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
JazzyBadger
Babbling Farker

Lmao, why didn't you talk to THEM?! That's what I'm left with after this.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I was always taught to treat others the way you want to be treated. The only way people learn is to be shown. So, let's be the example instead of the finger pointer...just a thought.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote