Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Babbling Farker

Sounds like some folks are trying to reinvent the wheel again. 'Dry' aging means just that. You can age meat in a plastic bag but you cannot 'dry' age in a bag. Air circulation and low humidity are a must. That means a compact fridge will not 'dry' because it has no circulation. The conventional type with a fan and coil is what is needed. The meat should be hung for good circulation. A drip pan is to collect moisture when you dry age. If the recirculated air is not dry enough then salt or salt block can be used. A green mold may form and that's OK because it is breaking down the connective tissue. It is harmless just trim it off for looks. The real butcher shops hang full sides and quarters with a date tag on them. 14 to 30 days is normal and longer is better in that range. So, if you're going to dry age meat KISS.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Babbling Farker

Originally Posted by htrisna View Post
I'm about to try aging roasts using those UMAi aging bags and my new vacuum sealer. After I age it for 21ish days, can I trim them, slice them into steaks and vacuum seal them individually to freeze or do they need to be consumed right away?
i think that would be fine, but i'd personally slice off a couple every 7 days or so and eat them. then do it all again with the age time you preferred.
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've dry aged rib eyes before. I wrapped them in cheesecloth for 24 hours then unwrap and discard the cheesecloth and re-wrap. I waited 7 days and yes they did smell but next you cut off about 1/4 an inch of the grey looking outside and put the remainder on the grill after cutting into steaks. Goooo-ooood. I believe I learned this method from Alton Brown.
Chompers 1, offset trailer smoker, 2-UDS,1-UDS rib hanger, weber grill,thermopen, maverick 732, cookshack, La Caja China
chomper's bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
On the road to being a farker

Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i think that would be fine, but i'd personally slice off a couple every 7 days or so and eat them. then do it all again with the age time you preferred.
I've used the UMAI dry bag system a few times and once the dry aging part is done, I slice them and vacuum seal them like you described above. The UMAi folks have a new "sleeve" that works great with my FoodSaver 2340. The results have been very good.
Primo XL
CG Akorn
2 WSM 18.5"
Blazing Blue Thermapen
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
MABA Member
Patrickkva is offline   Reply With Quote