The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Default Notice to contest cooks!

It was brought to my attention that we needed a thread for this to so I will start with a few and you guys ad more as they come to you.

1.) Send in your entries sooner than later. It is very hard to plan a contest when you are worried you might not have enough teams. I know of several contests that canceled this year because the got worried they would loose money.

2.) Don't blame the organizer for bad weather! Grass turns into mud in a hurry and they have no control of it. Be prepared and deal with it.

3.) Don't ask stupid questions the have already been addressed in an info packet! If no information packets provided feel free to ask.

4.) Worry about your self, don't complain because somebody's spot is better than yours or he is closer to turn ins than you are.

5.) If you have a problem don't be an A-hole, it won't help!

6.) Don't make the organizer have to tell you to keep it down after quiet hours, you know better. Be courteous!

7.) Offer volunteers water, beer and food. They are doing this for free and you need them!

8.) Judges are our Friends, not our enemies! Invite them into your spot on Friday night and ask how the food was after turn ins on Saturday.

9.) If a contest was good, help spread the word for the organizer. Most of them work there butt off.

10.) Interact with the public, most of them don't know how it all works.
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

well said...

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
7.) Offer volunteers water, beer and food. They are doing this for free and you need them!
Yeahhhh, no. I don't hand out libations to people I don't know. Volunteers fueled by beer on golf carts or Gators is a really bad idea.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289

Last edited by Slamdunkpro; 08-03-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way to go Shane!

And a special "Thanx" for you point #8 .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

We would have a lot better comps if folks followed your two lists. Preach it!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

If I may.....

11. Be mindful that not everyone wants to hear your music as much as you do!!!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Yeahhhh, no. I don't hand out libations to people I don't know. Volunteers fueled by beer on golf carts or Gators is a really bad idea.
Water/pop before turn ins, beer after! I think that is a fair compromise. It also a good way to get to know people.
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

And, if you don't mind, a bit of a modification to 3:

READ the info packet and/or the contest flyer!

I *know* a lot of the stuff is going to be the same as the last contest you cooked, but every contest has its own particulars - don't be shocked if you find that a contest won't let the cooks leave immediately after awards for one reason or another, you've got to park your truck about a mile from your cooksite, etc. If you still have questions after reading the packet, ASK.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
It was brought to my attention that we needed a thread for this to so I will start with a few and you guys ad more as they come to you.

1.) Send in your entries sooner than later. It is very hard to plan a contest when you are worried you might not have enough teams. I know of several contests that canceled this year because the got worried they would loose money.
Thank you Shane. If I could add, when a contest has a deadline to enter the contest, make sure you have signed up BEFORE the deadline, not AFTER the deadline. Finding spaces, judges, and all the extras for a team that decides to enter one day before the start of a cookoff is very hard on the organizer. Thanks again Shane, you are a good friend.
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

13. You are responsible for your guest. Your arse should get DQed, if one of your guest or you for that matter is disturbing other teams due to their inability to hold their liquor and the organizer has to be called.