The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Recent Judging experince has me wondering

Simply put would you knowingly put undercooked meat in a box to avoid a DQ for not turning anything in for a category? Or are you aware of anyone doing this?

Long version. I'm not talking chicken here I'm talking ribs. Had a box recently at my table that looked okay/ average. Appearance scores were fair.
When it came time to take the sample rib it was cold in the 80 + degree heat of the day. My thoughts odd... must have misjudged timing.
When it came time to taste it wasn't just cold it was barely cooked. I have my doubts that it ever reached the new pork safe serving temps.
I tried to bite into that bugger three different ways and finally got some meat with the rub and sauce. (first two bites I did get flavor no meat)
Marked down tenderness as a 4 AND filled out a comment card. A 2 would have been more accurate. The rest of the table had same issue and the rep came by and looked at the bone based on consistent score and two comment cards.

I couldn't fathom why some one would turn in a box like that. My only conclusion that I could jump to was better than a DQ.

Opinions?
UDS, Weber Kettle, #5 Kamado up for refurbishing,
[COLOR=blue]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen
[/COLOR][COLOR=black]IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS CBJ & CTC
avatar and logo by smilinsantasbbq.com

[/COLOR]
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahutchens View Post
Marked down tenderness as a 4 AND filled out a comment card. A 2 would have been more accurate. The rest of the table had same issue and the rep came by and looked at the bone based on consistent score and two comment cards.

I couldn't fathom why some one would turn in a box like that. My only conclusion that I could jump to was better than a DQ.

Opinions?
Any score is better than a DQ and with score creep they'll get some kind of score. Question: if it deserved a 2 why did you inflate it and give it a 4?

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Absolutely not. There is something seriously wrong with anyone that would put food that could make someone ill in the box to avoid a DQ in a category.

I guess that this is the flip side of the 'judges suck' refrain. Anyone knowingly putting unsafe meat in a box and turning it in should be booted from the event and not allowed back. It's bad enough having a teams that don't use gloves and are less than scrupulous about hygiene.

Not being psychic, we're never going to know what was done knowingly and what wasn't, but that is a scary concept.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
cvath
Got Wood.

Quote:
I guess that this is the flip side of the 'judges suck' refrain. Anyone knowingly putting unsafe meat in a box and turning it in should be booted from the event and not allowed back.
I agree!
cvath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Any score is better than a DQ and with score creep they'll get some kind of score. Question: if it deserved a 2 why did you inflate it and give it a 4?
Benefit of the doubt. Both for them and for me
Also I've never given that low of a score unless instructed to give a 1. Some conversations I've listened in on say 2 & 3's are almost cruel. I've been reflecting on it myself. Once written can't change it
UDS, Weber Kettle, #5 Kamado up for refurbishing,
[COLOR=blue]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen
[/COLOR][COLOR=black]IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS CBJ & CTC
avatar and logo by smilinsantasbbq.com

[/COLOR]
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

Phil,
This is sure a sad experience for you and a learning experience for everyone.
KCBS talks about underdone chicken, but no other category. Should there be some direction about apparently underdone anything??

Great job by your whole table. They sounded consistent with their scores. *Take note all you who have complained recently about judge inconsistency.

Credit to the Rep who investigated after seeing those scores and comment cards.

The Rep is the one who can backtrack thru the renumbered box to pinpoint the team the entry came from.

Then the questions are: what were the other categories from that team like? Any issues there? Does that team get some questioning by the reps? Do the reps inform the organizers? ( I would want to be informed ) What happens to the team if they admit they knowingly did it to avoid a DQ? What should happen to a team who unknowingly submits an unsafe entry??

Do the reps have guidelines in place for such a situation?

Hope no one got sick.
Thanks for bringing this issue to the Brethren.

Unread 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

personally, as both a comp cook, and an occasional cook at a restaurant. If you turn in undercooked/unsafe food, the box shouldn't be scored a 4, or even a 2. But if there's a question of safety, it should be DQ'ed.

Unread 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

From your description my guess is that is was done as far as clear juices/food safe. It just did not get to tender. keith

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
bam
is one Smokin' Farker

I would hope the cook didn't know any better.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Personally I would take a DQ if I had the slightest doubt about whether or nkt something was safe.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Pork need to be 145* internal, chicken needs to be 165* internal, beef needs to be 145* internal. That being said, if the meat made this temp, then it was safe. Was it done, probably not. Should it be turned in. YES if it reached proper temps then it was safe and that is a better score than a DQ.

Guys, quit overthinking things. I would have done it in a heart beat. Did it meet your definition of slight tug, no and it was chewy. So? give it a low score and move on. If it was red and bleeding, then call the rep over.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote