The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Advice on Smoking a cured Pastrami

I made pastrami from scratch and need to smoke it today.

I see so much different advice on how to cook the pastrami. I see smoke at 200F until internal temp of 165F then steam later etc.. One suggests smoke at 250F until an internal temp of 200F.

What would happen if I smoked it at 275F like I do my pork butt to an internal temp of 170F, then foil it and cook to around 190F? Let it rest foiled then throw in the fridge overnight and slice on my meat slicer the next day.

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
sam3
On the road to being a farker

Lots of people cook different meats different ways, I see nothing wrong with what you are proposing to do. Give it a go.
MAK 1 Star #385, 22.5 WSM, Weber Platinum, mini-WSM, PBC, Bradly OBS w/Auber & La Caja China
sam3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

My last one i just smoked to probe tender with out any wrapping or steaming. Don't think there's a bad way although imo 200* is insane for rendering fat....i'd smoke much hotter than that.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I've only done one so I'm no expert, but what I did turned out very nicely - I smoked until probe tender, let it cool, then steamed the next day back to probe tender, sliced and ate. It was fantastic. I did some looking around when I was researching doing mine and saw that there are a few ways of doing it, but IMO getting to probe tender one way or the other is key.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Ive done hundreds..for slicing dont go over 185 it has been cured so it will fall aprt on you..Shredding works real nice, mix the point with flat ...cooking temp over 225 though, most do not have any of the fat trimed off so you want that to render

Unread 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Okay, I am gonna smoke it at 275F to an internal temp of 170F. Then foil it and braise it until 185F, pull it.. let it rest foiled.. refrigeratre overnight then slice. I'll reheat slices in frying pan.

Unread 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Okay, I am gonna smoke it at 275F to an internal temp of 170F. Then foil it and braise it until 185F, pull it.. let it rest foiled.. refrigeratre overnight then slice. I'll reheat slices in frying pan.
Sounds like a plan! The last ones I did ended up around 190 because I got a phone call and didn't get them off in time. They sliced fine the next day.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote