MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default Ronelle's Pron-filled Fatty Tutorial...

With apologies to MisterChrister for borrowing his thread title

Since we have a lot of newer brothers and sisters (and a big Welocme to you all ), I thought that a tutorial on how to make a true fatty would be in order.

There seems to be a general belief among newer brethren that a fatty has to be stuff and enrobed in cured meats. Alas, Dear Brother and Sisters, this is not true. Please sit back and enjoy a bit of Fatty history.

Quote:
The original concept of the Fatty as introduced by Brother Smokey Pig and then named by Brother Big Dog is a breakfast sausage log unwrapped, rubbed if desired and then smoked. This is the original, and best Fatty.

The concept of stuffing evolved later and adds some interesting variations to the Fatty. The earliest mention I can find on the Brethren of stuffing a fatty is the Fatty Ronello, where a fatty is stuffed with poblano peppers, chorizo and pepper jack cheese. I'm not claiming to have invented the stuffed fatty, but I can't find anything on the forum about it until then.

Later, the Bacon Explosion popularized enrobing a fatty in cured meats. It may have been done before then, but the Bacon Explosion went viral and brought enrobing to everyone's attention.

Ever since the Bacon Explosion went viral a lot of folks seem to think that a Fatty HAS to be stuffed and enrobed in cured meats! I say NO! Let's get back to the roots of the Fatty as our Brothers in Smoke envisioned it! Stuffing and enrobing have their place, but to say that a Fatty has to have stuffing and/or enrobing is to deny our history!
Got that? There will be a quiz later.

So, on to the pron-filled tutorial...

The making of a proper (naked) fatty...

1. Obtain a breakfast sausage log. Jimmy Dean Sage or Maple are recommended, but other brands/flavor are fine. I recommend buying your breakfast log, but other means can be employed at you own risk.

2. Unwrap you breakfast sausage log.

3. [This step is optional] Rub your breakfast sausage log with your rub of choice.

If using Jimmy Dean Sage or Maple a sweet rub is an excellent choice. For this tutorial I used this rub since it was still on the counter from last night's sweet corn

4. Put the breakfast sausage log into your cooker of choice, at your temperature of choice. In this tutorial a Backwoods Party was used and running at 245 degrees.

5. Wait patiently until your Fatty is at least 165 degrees internal temperature. I prefer 180 to render some additional fat, but it's up to you and how patient you are. In this tutorial the Fatty was cooked to 180 internal and that took about 2 hours.

6. Once your Fatty has reached your desired internal temperature remove it from the smoker. At this point you can wrap it in foil and let it rest in a pre-heated cooler. Or not.

Your cooked Fatty should resemble this...

7. Slice and enjoy! A naked Fatty is excellent by itself, but also shines on a fresh, home made biscuit with a slice of cheese and some pepper jelly. Naked Fatties can also be used on pizza, in beans, or many other ways. Let your Fatty imagination run wild

I hope that you have learned something of the rich history of the Fatty here on the BBQ Brethren and I know that I will be seeing more Naked Fatty pron here on the forum!

LONG LIVE THE NAKED FATTY!!!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Last edited by Ron_L; 02-07-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

29 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
7over, Ackman, AClarke44, Adriani, Ag76, Al Czervik, angryelfFan, Bbqallday, bbqbull, BBQLuver, Big George's BBQ, bigabyte, BigBuddha76, Bigdaddyrockstar, Bigdog, BigLakeSmoker, Bigr314, Bill-Chicago, bluetang, Boshizzle, Brauma, Brother Matt, cats49er, cheez59, Crispy Bacon, CTSmokehouse, DaGoomba, Dale Nichols, dealm9, Decoy205, deguerre, Diesel Dave, Doc6633, DubfromGA, ebijack, effinUker, El Ropo, Eric In STL, EUBANK, EX~DY, FamilyManBBQ, FattyMcFatty, fingerlickin', Fishin4bass723, frankenfab, frognot, Gimmethecash, Gore, GrantAshton, grillinguy247, gtr, Homebrewed Q, Humble Soul, IllinoidRick, insaneh, jfletcherMD, jimmerjammer, jocosa, Kanco Connection, Kathy's Smokin', kevinb67, KoonBQ, Lake Dogs, landarc, LMAJ, LYU370, lzbcook, MattCom, MisterChrister, Moose, NCGrimbo, nolaman, NorthwestBBQ, nucornhusker, oifmarine2003, OutlawSwine, Packmanjim, palmcoastbob, Parm, Pizzaman, Porcine Perfection, Q Junkie, Quick_Rick, rdstoll, Redneck Smoker, Ross in Ventura, Ruger410, Sammy_Shuford, Schmoke, schwin97, ShadowDriver, silverfinger, skonniemark, slim2061, slow-smoker, SMetroHawkeye, Smokeat, Smokey Lonesome, Smokiemon, ss4825, St Brigid, tarhog, The_Kapn, tish, TndrSwtBBQ, Trailer Trash, ttix, txags2011, TXBronco, USMC, Wampus, Wetsmoke, Wickedcajun, wnc-bbq-guy, Wornslick, Yan can Cook, zanna5910

Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Man that sure looks tasty! Thanks for the write up!
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
e4c6
Knows what a fatty is.

Great thread sir, thank you for taking the time to make it.
e4c6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Nice tutorial. I want to point out that if you start with a low fat sausage log, it'll turn out pretty dry. So go with the regular stuff. I tried several low fat versions and the result was always on the dry side.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks man, now I know!

Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Ooooo, where's the quiz!

Thanks Ron! This is very nice. I also like taking fatties to higher temps. I really appreciate a good dry sausage.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I also prefer my fatties naked. And, yes, sliced on a fresh backed biscuit is my favorite way to eat one. I've tried stuffed, rubbed and enrobed fatties, but I always return to the original naked fatty.

I'll have to try the higher temp mod, and see what I think of it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
SmokyWoodturner
On the road to being a farker

Great info. as a newbe i thought they had to be stuffed. will be doing one this way soon-like tomorrow morning. I am thinking late breakfast-biscuits, eggs, fried puds, and naked fattie.

SmokyWoodturner
SmokyWoodturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
SmokyWoodturner
On the road to being a farker

OOPS should be fried spuds
SmokyWoodturner
SmokyWoodturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Thanks! Love the idea of putting it on pizza, I'm not an Italian sausage fan, but could see using a good savory fatty chunked up on a pizza.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Nice!!! I'd hit your fatty Ron! Possibly your pickle too!!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

I am a big fan of the naked fattie. However, i did try one with a roll of pre cooked biscuit dough in it. My plan was to see if it would cook up ok that way and eat it smothered in country gravy.
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
LMAJ

Long live the naked fatty!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Where are shrimp? You said the fattie would be stuffed with shrimp. Are they ground up with the sausage?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Nice!!! I'd hit your fatty Ron! Possibly your pickle too!!
I've always wondered about you. NTTAWWT.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatty, Naked fatty