The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 07-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default cooking my first fair

Ok so my wife thinks im nuts. 6 days 10 hours a day at our local fair. im thinking pp, pp nachos. chicken drum sticks, baked beans, salt potatoes and soda. what do you think. does anyone do fairs, and how do you make out profit wise. want to clear 700 a day.maybe my expectations are too high. any advice.
2guystryin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

It would depend on a number of things. Do you know any traffic history of the event (how many people)? How many vendors? Any direct competition vendors? What will your total costs be (operating, consumables, cost of goods sold, labor, etc)?

I ran a quick calculation for a basic vending stand at 10 hrs/day (using some averaged costs based on similar gigs we have done in the past to net out $700 profit for the day) and I came up with a required gross sales of ~$2K/Day. If your average dollar per sale is $8 then you would need to average ~25 sales per hour to meet your desired goal. Of course this is just an educated guess since there are many unknown variables in this proposal. But it might give you some idea.

To give you something to compare to we do a one day festival event every year that pulls in about 3,000 people for the day (10am to 4 pm). There are multiple food vendors and usually 2-3 other BBQ vendors. Approximately 80% (240 plates) of our sales occur from 11 am to 1 pm. We sell a total of ~300 plates for the day @ an avg of $7/plate for a gross of ~$2,100. We are able to keep our costs low so we usually net about $1,500 for the day.

Unread 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the info. im thinkimg of starting with 10 butts. the last two events we sold 40 lbs cooked in 2.5 hours. i may need to up my price. ill have to see what the other vendors are selling for. Im thinking 5 for a sammie. 7 pp nachos 5 for 3 legs.

Unread 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2guystryin View Post
Thanks for the info. im thinkimg of starting with 10 butts. the last two events we sold 40 lbs cooked in 2.5 hours. i may need to up my price. ill have to see what the other vendors are selling for. Im thinking 5 for a sammie. 7 pp nachos 5 for 3 legs.

That would probably be a good number to start off with and to test the waters. Since you have a multi-day event you can always bump up the production each day to find that sweet spot in sales.

The 10 butts (assuming avg 8.5 lbs each) should yield ~ 47 lbs cooked (we have a 45% loss on butts) which would yield ~125 sammies (6 oz serving). Depending on your competition and the price of your butts you might want to bump the sammie price a bit ($6 will yield an extra $125 gross) if you think you can get it. The price on the pp nachos and legs sound reasonable (again depending on your costs).

Are you cooking at the event or bringing the food in and reheating? If reheating be very sure of proper reheat and hold temps in case the HD is attending the fair also.

At the event I spoke of we offer a PP or PBrisket sammie (with handful of chips) for $5 ea, 4 oz sides for $1 ea and beverage for $1 ea (soda or water). Most people buy at least one side (sometimes none, sometimes two) and a beverage hence the avg of $7 per sale. However, with the increase in pork and brisket costs lately we will probably bump our pork sammie up to $6 and the brisket sammie up to $7.

We really enjoy the one "big" event that we do each year. We get to meet so many great people. I think a fair would be fun to try sometime. It would sure be interesting to hear updates on your quantities and sales along the way. Above all else......HAVE FUN!!!!

Unread 07-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

Gonna start 4 at midnight . thenwhen i get there im smoking on site

Unread 07-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

You need to make sure you know all the charges the fair will be hitting you for before you commit and decide on prices. At our state fair there is a daily charge as well as 25% of sales charge and they come by and get your register tapes to make sure they are getting enough. That is why fair prices for food are so high.

Unread 07-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

270 total. not bad

Unread 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2guystryin View Post
270 total. not bad
Nice!! Did you run out??

Unread 07-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

The 270 is the fee we start on tuesday. hopefully everything goes good.

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
2guystryin
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok. first day sucked. 2storms came through. only sold 24 sammies and 15 nachos. im hopping for some money to come in today. anyone have some more cheap menu ideas?

Unread 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Andrews
On the road to being a farker

Pig Candy?
Andrews is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
BBQ Church
Knows what a fatty is.

tacos too... you already have the pork, slap it on a tortilla with some diced onion and cilantro... maybe $5 - $6 for two tacos?

People love anything in a taco
BBQ Church is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

I always thought these would do well - carne asada and bacon wrapped peppercinis; only take 5 min on a hot grill, so cook to order and save the rest for the next day. Maybe $5-$6 for 4 of them?

lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Smoked Butt chili verde
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.

Stuff the pepperoncini with the pork "chopped" mixed with cream cheese (mix a little rub in with the mixture to jack the flavor up), then bacon wrap them. Great contrast of flavors. I would sub Jalapeños if you had access to them.
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote