• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking It Old School Pt. 2

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm still in Southport NC - not wildly different from the last cook, but what the hey, it's farking hot, so why not spend some time next to a fire? :crazy:

I built a fire with oak

souhportfire.jpg

Let it burn down, threw on a chix, some extra thighs and some pretty dang salty sausage (first sausage I've bought in a store in a long time - gotta say I like mine better). Marinated the chix in Carolina Treet again and basted everything including the sausage with it.

southportcooking1.jpg

southportcooking2.jpg

I bought a cheap pair of tongs here. I think don't like this type with the little tines on the end - seems to tear up the chicken skin.

tongs1.jpg

tongs2.jpg

Once again, no therms of any kind were available. Turned out pretty dang good though!

southportdone.jpg

No plated shots, but had it with broccoli and some Anasazi beans this sweet gal from OK sent me - y'all might know her. :biggrin1:

I cooked the beans with country ham cured hamhocks, onion, garlic, pepper, and a little woosty. No need for salt due to the country ham. I've never had those kinda beans before, but they are fanfarkingtastic! The whole family flipped over them - thanks Jeanie! :clap2: Glad I brought them with me. Jeanie sent me other cool stuff too, which'll be showing up in some posts soon. :thumb:

Oh yeah, my mom made nanner pudding - so good!

southportnanner.jpg

I'm really enjoying my stay in NC. I've always thought this was a great state and I'll always jump at any chance to come here.

Cooking like this is pretty fun - I may need to dig a hole in my backyard. One day I'd like to try something like ribs, a butt or brisket on an open pit - if anybody has any insight on doing something like this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for looking!

I LOVE what you are doing gtr! I even have my team on it.

picture.php

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Greg that looks killer!! Great job! :becky:

I like to do ribs over an open fire when camping, they aren't complicated at all... place them on the low heat side of the fire and let them slow roast. Just add a stick of wood when needed to keep the fire low.
Beef ribs are my favorite but spares work great too.
You can even do the 3-2-1 method and foil for awhile if you want.

I know that what ever you come up with will be awesome!!

• Thanks
I feel as though we're missing a picture. Next time, you gotta get yourself running around smashing the ground with a club. I'm serious too, it'd look AWESOME with your fire set up. Old school for sure, thanks for sharing this!

• Thanks
So, I'll PM you my address to send me that bowl of nanner pudding....

All of that looks fantastic. Can I have a bite...just a little bite? lol

• Thanks
Yeah...Phark those tongs...they're worthless.
Oooh...Anasazi beans...I guess we share the same sweet Gal from OK.:p

Nice cooking G.!

• Thanks
:clap2:nanner puddin:clap2:................

oh, the meats look outstanding as well, but.....

:clap2: nanner puddin:clap2:................

• Thanks
Back