oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

 
slowerlowerbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-28-09
Location: Wilmington, Delawhere
Default Wow, 3 comment cards at Wildwood!

After reading jbrink's thread about his positive comment card it reminded me to post about our experience at Wildwood, NJ last week. We were totally shocked when we got our score sheet and there were actually 3 (!) comment cards. And all 3 were very helpful. One of the judges, after scoring our ribs 989, made the comment "Would have been 3-9s but it was salty. Nice Job." Another judge also made a comment about our salty ribs (I guess you know how we're going to adjust). The 3rd judge commented about too much sauce on our pork and gave positive feedback about our appearance and texture.

To those 3 judges, I say THANK YOU!!!

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for from judges and please know that us cooks, especially those of us that dont compete a lot, truly appreciate the extra effort in sending in these cards.
__________________
Mark aka Earl
Slower Lower BBQ
(2) 22.5" WSM, (2) 18.5" WSM, (3) 22.5" Weber Kettles, BWS Chubby, Super Fast Red Thermapen, (2) BBQ Guru DX2, and our trusty Airline Cart! (wouldn't leave home without it)
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!
 
BRBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-05-08
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Default

Wait until the next contest, they will say "not salty enough" and "not enough sauce" HAHA..
__________________
Stumps XL Baby/UDS
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
IamMadMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-11
Location: Pemberton, New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerlowerbbq View Post
After reading jbrink's thread about his positive comment card it reminded me to post about our experience at Wildwood, NJ last week. We were totally shocked when we got our score sheet and there were actually 3 (!) comment cards. And all 3 were very helpful. One of the judges, after scoring our ribs 989, made the comment "Would have been 3-9s but it was salty. Nice Job." Another judge also made a comment about our salty ribs (I guess you know how we're going to adjust). The 3rd judge commented about too much sauce on our pork and gave positive feedback about our appearance and texture.

To those 3 judges, I say THANK YOU!!!

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for from judges and please know that us cooks, especially those of us that don't compete a lot, truly appreciate the extra effort in sending in these cards.

Not everyone can take guidance with a positive attitude - if you can, as you demonstrated, you will obviously do well and improve you product.

I also thought it was fitting that Alison won the "Butch Lupinetti" award there in Wildwood as he was her father. He passed away 2 years ago when they were on vacation in Pompeii. He taught me how to smoke, but more importantly, how to enjoy the task as you are doing it.

.
__________________
Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Default

Wow, they must have tasted like a salt block!! (I kid). I'm not sure after giving a cook a 9-8-9 I would have thought about also giving a card...
Good on that judge for taking the time to help improve your game.
Most thought process is give a card for a less than stellar score.
Ed
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Sledneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Wantagh, NY
Default

Why is it that cards never come out for 6·s
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://bbqilluminati.blogspot.com"]BBQ
Illuminati Blog[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR="Blue"][B]Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

 
slowerlowerbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-28-09
Location: Wilmington, Delawhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Why is it that cards never come out for 6·s
Actually, the judge that commented on our pork gave us a 968.
__________________
Mark aka Earl
Slower Lower BBQ
(2) 22.5" WSM, (2) 18.5" WSM, (3) 22.5" Weber Kettles, BWS Chubby, Super Fast Red Thermapen, (2) BBQ Guru DX2, and our trusty Airline Cart! (wouldn't leave home without it)
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
cvath
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 05-14-12
Location: Morrisville, NC
Default

Quote:
Wait until the next contest, they will say "not salty enough" and "not enough sauce" HAHA..
As a judge, this comment pisses me off. I understand that you point if you feel there is a lack of consistency in judging, but if the comments I provide as a judge (and I do provide comments for any scores 6 or under) are going to be mocked and used against the judging community what is my motivation for providing a comment card?
cvath is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker
 
Pig Headed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-15-06
Location: Middletown, DE
Default

I also received a good comment card at Wildwood. I don't think I ever received a positive one before. I will definitly make an effort to do the same when I judge at Belair next month. I really appreciated the positive feedback.
__________________
Ron

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
AZScott
Take a breath!
 
Join Date: 02-22-08
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Default

So can you tell me about the three judges? What's their judging experience? Do they smoke? Male? Female? How old are they? Do they have a cook team?

Every now and then a comment card could reinforce what you are already thinking and it can help you make a change you have been on the fence about. I personally don't think it would be wise to change anything over one card. No offense to judges but I normally throw the comment cards out and take my advice from that days actual scores after analyzing them at home along with the past three contests scores.
__________________
Little Miss BBQ
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker
 
hamiltont's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Kearney, NE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
Wait until the next contest, they will say "not salty enough" and "not enough sauce" HAHA..
If you're competing at the Westfair Comp in Council Bluffs next weekend you might get a comment card from me.... I really hope you appreciate it. I'll try to be as honest, courteous and informative as I can. Cheers!!!
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
hamiltont is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker
 
Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-05
Location: Langhorne PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvath View Post
As a judge, this comment pisses me off. I understand that you point if you feel there is a lack of consistency in judging, but if the comments I provide as a judge (and I do provide comments for any scores 6 or under) are going to be mocked and used against the judging community what is my motivation for providing a comment card?
Note that he ended his post with "HAHA." I wouldn't get too insulted by it or read too much into it.
__________________
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Backyard All-Stars BBQ Team
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
walrus79
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 07-22-11
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

Cvath, I agree with your comments...hopefully BRBBQ was just being cynical and trying to make a funny. I hope this doesn't temper your willingness to provide a cook team honest, constructive feedback.

We're a pretty new team and have only rec'd two comment cards, both honest and helpful. I, as a judge have given comment cards for low scoring entries and high scoring. To me it's just as important to give feedback for good and not-so-good entries. It's that last help that may get you from an 8 to a 9.

I too have been guilty of being cynical or critical of judges, but I certainly appreciate them and encourage them to write comment cards anytime they feel the need!
__________________
Brown Liquor BBQ, XL & L BGE, BWS Fatboy - MABA, KCBS, CBJ. Flame Boss/Rockwood
walrus79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

 
slowerlowerbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-28-09
Location: Wilmington, Delawhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
So can you tell me about the three judges? What's their judging experience? Do they smoke? Male? Female? How old are they? Do they have a cook team?

Every now and then a comment card could reinforce what you are already thinking and it can help you make a change you have been on the fence about. I personally don't think it would be wise to change anything over one card. No offense to judges but I normally throw the comment cards out and take my advice from that days actual scores after analyzing them at home along with the past three contests scores.
Well, 2 out of 6 judges thought enough to comment on the saltiness of our ribs and we may adjust for this. I really like salty food and sometimes worry others may not agree. We'll most likely just temper that slightly and not too much. As for the pork comment about the sauce, I was thinking the same thing as I was prepping the box as our sauce stayed on the smoker too long and thickened up too much. Live and learn, all 3 of these comments were really helpful and appreciated.
__________________
Mark aka Earl
Slower Lower BBQ
(2) 22.5" WSM, (2) 18.5" WSM, (3) 22.5" Weber Kettles, BWS Chubby, Super Fast Red Thermapen, (2) BBQ Guru DX2, and our trusty Airline Cart! (wouldn't leave home without it)
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 02-19-09
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Wow, they must have tasted like a salt block!! (I kid). I'm not sure after giving a cook a 9-8-9 I would have thought about also giving a card...
Good on that judge for taking the time to help improve your game.
Most thought process is give a card for a less than stellar score.
Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Why is it that cards never come out for 6·s
At least on the West Coast, that could be due to reps telling the judges that a score of 7-9 indicates the quality of the meat, making comment cards unnecessary. They also suggest that comment cards be given scores under 6. I don't follow this advice, but that's what we're hearing out here.
__________________
2x 18.5 WSM, Mini WSM, UDS, Weber 22.5 OTS, Orange Thermapen, cheapo gasser; KCBS MCBJ
Chenernator is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!
 
Butt Rubb'n BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-12
Location: Woodstock ga
Default

I think comment cards should be mandatory. That is the very least the judges could do for cook teams. We spend thousands of dollars competing and can't even get a comment card what a joke. To the offended judge the guy was playing around lighten up.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
comment cards

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum. If it doesnt find results at first, hit search a few times more.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.