The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS double ball valve placement?

Almost done with my 2nd UDS build. One of the changes I made from my old one is I added an extra air intake hole so now I have 4, evenly spaced around the drum. I just so happen to have 2 ball valves laying around so I figured I would make it double ball valve just to increase my ability to regulate temp since I already have an extra one just collecting dust. Does anyone have any input on the placement? I figure I should place them opposite each other to even out airflow so going around the drum the air intakes are valved, capped, valved, capped. Does this seem the smartest choice or is their any reason to place them next to each o0ther to make it capped, capped, valved, valved? It probably does not matter much and I probably won't even need the other valve but I figured it was worth checking. I am about to season it so I will test it with the first option and see how that works out with controlling temps, fuel efficiency, etc.

Unread 07-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
pitbossJB
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that's how I would do it.

UDS
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
Smokey Joe's
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
scummybear
On the road to being a farker

If you are going to go with two, cap valve cap valve seems to be the way to go. Although, I really don't think it would matter all to much.

Unread 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
M&WIronworx
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats how i would do it!
M&WIronworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats the way I did it and so far it works awesome that way. I have mine on two pipes long enough that the open end of the ball valve meets the top edge of the cooker and so far it has worked great. I've only done three cooks on it since building it though. Some people have said I may discover I need to cut down the length some. So far though it hasn't been necessary and having them up that high is very convenient.

Last edited by Gr8adventure; 07-25-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Gr8adventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
dudilous
Found some matches.

Save the ball valve for your third UDS
dudilous is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am seasoning it right now with valved, capped, valved, capped and it is holding rock steady with a 2 degree variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudilous View Post
Save the ball valve for your third UDS
Don't worry I originally bought 3 caps so now I have a cap collecting dust. When it comes time for that 3rd barrel that cap is going on this UDS I have now and the valve is coming off and going on numero tres. I like where your head is at